Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DodgeDeBoulet
Punch Card
Views: 6,167
Message 1 of 28

T460p Won't Boot while Docked

When I attempt to reboot my T460p (20FWCTO1WW) while it's in its Ultra Dock (40A20090US), it shuts down properly but hangs at the red Lenovo splash screen on restart. If I remove it from the dock and power off/on, it boots normally. I can then put it to sleep, drop it in the dock, wake it up and everything is OK.

This only started happening after the application of the latest firmware, R07ET71W 2.11. Has anyeone else experienced this?

DodgeDeBoulet
Punch Card
Views: 6,146
Message 2 of 28

Re: T460p Won't Boot while Docked

I found a similar issue on this forum referencing a problem with a T460s and the UltraDock. Suggested solutions were to move the keyboard to a USB3 port on the dock, and set a 3 second Boot Delay in the BIOS Display settings. Neither of those options made a difference.

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 6,121
Message 3 of 28

Dear DodgeDeBoulet,

I'm curious the latest T460p system BIOS is v2.19, not v2.11.  Do you see the symptom on v2.19?
I just heard development team confirmed the symptom isn't observed w/ BIOS v2.19.  I'd like you to confirm the BIOS version and behavior.

Thank you.

DodgeDeBoulet
Punch Card
Views: 6,113
Message 4 of 28

I looked through the list of installed updates in Companion and 2.11 was the last I saw. I have confirmed, though, that R07ET79W (2.19) is in fact installed; I simply assumed that 2.11 is the version that was applied during my last (highly unusual) update session through Lenovo Companion.

As for the "highly unusual" update session: I was notified a week or so ago via a popup notification that a new BIOS was available and that it's installation was urgent/critical. I went ahead and clicked OK to install it, and it performed the usual pre-reboot tasks of backing up the BIOS and preparing to install the image. On reboot, though, I did not see the usual SecureFlash screen; the display stayed dark for an extended period of time ... much much longer than any previous BIOS flash.

I decided that something had gone wrong and attempted to turn off the power. When I pressed the power button I recieved 2 long and 3 short beeps, and no obvious display activity. Nothing I did other than removing the T460p from the docking station and removing its battery had any effect, and when I reinstalled the battery I recieved a brief notification of "flash failure." However, the laptop did boot successfully, and I was able to log onto Windows. Note that it was not docked at the time.

At some point during this process I had dialed Lenovo Support, and the flash failure message appeared shortly after I was connected to a technician. He informed me that I should never flash my T460p while docked, and we worked through a successful re-flash during my session with him. Since then, though, I have been unable to have my T460p complete a reboot while in the dock. And I had always applied BIOS and other system/utility updates while docked previously.

The dock's model number is listed in the original post. I also have a ThinkVision X1 27" 4K display attached via DisplayPort, a 3rd party USB keyboard (Reidia KM06), a Logitech Performance MX mouse and a Seagate 4TB external drive all connected through the dock. The keyboard and external drive are connected via USB3, the mouse via USB2. I've had these same peripherals connected for a number of months and have been able to reboot successfully with them until just recently.

Montec
Paper Tape
Views: 6,068
Message 5 of 28

That is exaclly what happened to me as well, only on my ThinkPad P70.

I flashed the BIOS this week because, as you said, it was labeled as 'critical'. I was docked at the time and there was no warning to say it shouldn't be docked during the update. I also got the black screen and the power button made the same beeps when I pressed it after the update had been frozen for 10 minutes.

The only way to get my Thinkpad to run was to take out the battery. Now I can't boot when the computer is docked. If I undock it when it's frozen, it immediately continues to boot, but if I put it back on the docking station, it will stop and freeze on whatever screen happens to be displayed. This is super annoying because I need to do a full shutdown frequently because of my work and undocking it to boot it is not really acceptable.

Did you find out any solution (DodgeDeBoulet)? If so, I'd be forever grateful if you would share it. 

Montec
Paper Tape
Views: 6,066
Message 6 of 28

That is exaclly what happened to me as well, only on my ThinkPad P70.

I flashed the BIOS this week because, as you said, it was labeled as 'critical'. I was docked at the time and there was no warning to say it shouldn't be docked during the update. I also got the black screen and the power button made the same beeps when I pressed it after the update had been frozen for 10 minutes.

The only way to get my Thinkpad to run was to take out the battery. Now I can't boot when the computer is docked. If I undock it when it's frozen, it immediately continues to boot, but if I put it back on the docking station, it will stop and freeze on whatever screen happens to be displayed. This is super annoying because I need to do a full shutdown frequently because of my work and undocking it to boot it is not really acceptable.

Did you find out any solution (DodgeDeBoulet)? If so, I'd be forever grateful if you would share it.
DodgeDeBoulet
Punch Card
Views: 6,054
Message 7 of 28

Sorry @Montec, no solution yet. I haven't opened a support incident with Lenovo yet, but it looks like that's the next step.

DodgeDeBoulet
Punch Card
Views: 6,049
Message 8 of 28

I discovered that there's now a 2.20 BIOS available, but it refuses to install. I get an error that the "process does not recognize this system."

Way to go, Lenovo.

DodgeDeBoulet
Punch Card
Views: 6,039
Message 9 of 28

Apparently the 2.19 update has somehow made my T460p incompatible with any prior and subsequent BIOS/UEFI updates. The support tech I worked with via chat today is dispatching a tech for repair.

Montec
Paper Tape
Views: 6,031
Message 10 of 28

Thanks for answering me Dodge. If you aren't successful, I'll give support a call next.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors