Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Montec
Paper Tape
Views: 3,224
Message 11 of 28

Re: T460p Won't Boot while Docked

My BIOS version with this problem is N1DET91W (2.17 )
DodgeDeBoulet
Punch Card
Views: 3,209
Message 12 of 28

@Montec wrote:
My BIOS version with this problem is N1DET91W (2.17 )

Interesting. I'm pretty sure I skipped 2.17, updating to 2.19 from a version earlier than that. Of course, I'm not sure that the P70 uses the exact same BIOS as the T460p, so my observation may be, um, useless Smiley Happy

Montec
Paper Tape
Views: 3,201
Message 13 of 28

Actually, your initial explanation is EXACTLY what happened to me, word for word, so the issue must be the same regardless of the version and model.

DodgeDeBoulet
Punch Card
Views: 3,193
Message 14 of 28

@Montec, have you tried flashing an earlier (or later, if available) BIOS? None of the versions will flash on my system now; I get "process does not recognize this system."

And UPS just showed up with a "new" motherboard, so I'm expecting a call from Lenovo dispatch to arrange a visit before too long.

Montec
Paper Tape
Views: 3,190
Message 15 of 28

Actually, a new motherboard is a great solution since you bypass the restriction which prevents flashing older BIOS versions. The say in the documentation of the recent BIOS upgrades that you can't roll back to earlier versions for security reasons, so that's why you can't flash older versions. That doesn't answer the issue of you not being able to flash a new version though.

I'm pretty sure that the problem steps from upgrading the BIOS while the device is docked. In my case, it probably has to do with the fact that I dual boot Ubuntu. I actually don't use Windows anymore (it's too slow and frustrating to use Windows these days), so I really only use Windows now so that I can get support when my hardware has issues.

I would get a new mother board too, except I don't like the idea that it may be a "reconditioned" hardware item. But, if I can't flash the newest version again to try to fix the problem, I'll give in and get a new one installed. I have the same 48 hour in house service that you have (4 years).

Tell me how it goes. I'm betting that even if your new motherboard has the same BIOS that you are having problems with, it will work because it wasn't flashed when the device was docked.
DodgeDeBoulet
Punch Card
Views: 3,181
Message 16 of 28

I'm not confident it will go well; it's certainly not a factory fresh replacement motherboard (thus the quotes around the word new in my previous post).

It's obvious that their "SecureFlash" solution is anything but.

Montec
Paper Tape
Views: 3,144
Message 17 of 28

Mine is fixed now. All I had to do was to remove an external USB hubs from the back of the docking station. I was using a couple of USB hubs on my monitor so the monitor was plugged into a usb port on my docking station. That's a small price to pay compared to putting some used motherboard in my P70.

I hope your's is working for you now. I'm guessing it is or you would probably be back here trying to get help.
Montec
Paper Tape
Views: 3,142
Message 18 of 28

My Ubuntu system is also working with the new 2.19 BIOS and my NVidia M5000M is blindingly fast on Ubuntu. Goodbye Windows.
DodgeDeBoulet
Punch Card
Views: 3,139
Message 19 of 28

Nope, still not fixed. I do have a USB hub in my display (Lenovo X1 27") that's plugged into the dock; I'll try removing that. I'm still concerned that I can't update to the latest firmware, though.

If unplugging the hub is the price I have to pay to get a successful reboot I might just pay it.

DodgeDeBoulet
Punch Card
Views: 3,136
Message 20 of 28

Verified. Unplugging the USB-A to USB-C cable that connects to the X1 display allows me to reboot while docked.

I'm thinking this is something that was caused by the last successful firmware update (2.19 for me) and may be fixed in a future one, but of course I'm skeptical that I'll be able to update to it.

What to do, what to do ...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors