cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
silverfork
What's DOS?
Views: 182
Message 1 of 2

T460p riddled with issues (which other model's keyboard compatible with T460p)

Hi,

This post consists of rant as well as seeking a solution because with these cheap Chinese products, one cannot accept quality. More so with Lenovo.

To begin with:

I purchased this laptop T460p in 2016 . For almost 10 months it worked fine.

Then one fine day it refused to boot up. Tried removing the battery, power-recycling by pressing the power button for 30 secs etc. but nothing worked. It did not even show the Lenovo-splash screen or the option to go to BIOS.
The system power light would glow, fan would be working indicating that something wrong went with the display.
Tried connecting to an external display, but even that did not work.

I was in India at that time.
It being under warranty, sent it to the service centre in US. When they powered it up at the service centre, it booted up to the desktop. Still they decided to keep it under observation. Finally they concluded that motherboard need to be replaced. Then started the ordeal.

Motherboard was replaced. I was told that new motherboard had warranty for only 2 months(strange).
At the same time, the technician damaged the keyboard, so replaced it too.

But it seems like the headphone jack was not connected properly.
On receving the laptop, we did not check if the headphne jack was working or not. The system speakers were working fine though.

A month later when i tried using the headphone, to my horror realised that the headphones were not working.
Tried all solutions from driver update etc but nothing worked. Tried other headphones but none of them worked. Same headphones worked in other laptop. So finally concluded it to be again a h/w issue. Called up Lenovo support in India and provide them all the details of the repair done on the laptop. They refused to honour the 2 months warranty.

Had to purchase a bluetooth headphone as a workaround. Continued using the laptop.

3 months later, the keyboard stopped working.(Did they replce it with a refurbished one earlier ?)

As the warranty had already expired, took it to an third party repair centre. They told that keyboard needs to be changed. They repaird the headphone jack issue and told that it was just not screwed to the motherboard. I am not sure if the jack is screwed or soldered. Either way, it shows the incompetency of Lenovo serivce guys and its quality.

Now I am stuck with using an external keyboard as T460p keyboard is not avaialble in India.

Any suggestions, if any other models keyboard is compatible with T460p (it's fine if it is not backlit).

2 days back, another issue started coming. I am afraid this again might turn to be a h/w issue. All of a sudden, the system froze with colourd horizonatal lines across the screen.
Did a power cycle, and restarted the ssytem. It got stuck after Lenovo-splash screen with same coloured line on the screen,.
Got fedup and just kept it aside. A day later, turned it ON and this time it booted properly to the desktop with proper display.
I am afraid, this might be another h/w issue which may come up again.

Really fed up of Lenovo. Never ever in my life going to buy another Lenovo nor would I recommend anyone.
Post Lenovo buy of IBM, quality has gone down the drain. It's just another cheal chinese product.

If you have reached this far, Thanks for reading. Please do suggest the available options for keyboard. Just trying to delay my purchase of new laptop as I am short of vitamin-M

-Mandy

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

foolmeonce
Core Memory
Views: 81
Message 2 of 2

Re: T460p riddled with issues (which other model's keyboard compatible with T460p)

I feel your pain, I HATE my t460p, I've had/have several Thinkpads and the t460p is a piece of junk.

There are several different manufacturers of keyboards, they are not all the same quality. My personal experience is the Chicony keyboard in my t460p is better than the LiteOn keyboard in my t460; the Chicony feels more solid.  The backlight in the LiteOn was a dealbreaker in the t460, it was too bright even on low; the Chicony is softer. The paint on the Sunrex in my t430s wore off in the first year.

From the parts lookup under Parts & Accessories on the support page: You might be able to determine the company your original keyboard was by downloading the parts list "as built." The one you're having trouble with, might not be the same manufacturer.  Download the complete compatible parts list to see all the part numbers for the different manufacturers.

How you go about obtaining and replacing the keyboard is up to you, but I did it myself with the instructions in the hardware maintenance manual and purchasing on an auction site. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors