Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SiberiaWolf
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 933
Message 1 of 10

T460s - 2nd SSD in WWAN slot

Good day everyone.

I know there were some similar post about issue, but I didn't find a proper answer. Especially since most of them are from 2016. 

I have already SSD in the main m.2 slot (2280 - original). I would like to install SSD in my WWAN m.2 slot (2242) in addition.

A few questions: 

1. As far as I know, the WWAN slot does not support SATA. So if there will be SSD 2242 with PCIE interface such as "Toshiba RC100". Will it work?

2. Is it possible to change boot in BIOS from the main m.2 slot to the WWAN slot? 

My goal is to have 2 SSDs with differen OS in each one of them (don't want dual booot on one SSD). 

Really appreciate for any insigts about this! 

PS

Guru
Views: 909
Message 2 of 10

Re: T460s - 2nd SSD in WWAN slot

It should be possible to change the boot sequence via BIOS. The 2242 SSD should work. 

Here's are a few guides that might help: 

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/install-msata-ssd-tutorial

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/install-m2-ssd-lenovo-t440s

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T470-and-adding-2nd-SSD-to-the-WWAN-how-...

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

SiberiaWolf
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 891
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the info Eric. 

Question Nr. one remains to be open. Wil this specific SSD that I'Ve mentioned, will work? 

I don't want to buy an SSD and then not use it - waste of money. Smiley Happy 

Guru
Views: 887
Message 4 of 10

It should work.

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

SiberiaWolf
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 450
Message 5 of 10

So finally an update. 

I've managed to find time and got the "Toshiba RC100 240 GB Solid State Drive"

By all the specs, it should have work but it doesn't Smiley Sad 

I'Ve played a bit with BIOS, but unfortunatelly the BIOS in Thinkpad is very poor and there is no much of an options to play with the I/O on motherboard.

It's unrecognizable in Windows 10 well. 

Funny fact: 

I've removed my original SSD (2280) and inserted the new one (2242) and th laptop actually recognizes it. So the SSD is fine. 

Just on the port of WWAN it's not recognized. Too bad. 

There is a feeling that it was blocked intentionally by Lenovo - maybe I am wrong. 

I will still play with it a few days, and if it will not work - will send it back to Amazon (luckily it's possible) 

If there are any questions regarding this, just let me know.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 438
Message 6 of 10

As best I can determine after checking multple sites - including this one - the T460s does not support an SSD in the WWAN slot.  Neither does the T460.  The T460p does.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

SiberiaWolf
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 395
Message 7 of 10

You can determine???

Based on what? Did you gave experience with it as well? Because I've not heard or seen about it anything here. The best thing that you can do (without actual first contact with the problem) is ASSUME at the most.

Dont try to take credit over things that you did not do.

I am the one who has 460s

I am the one who bought the ssd 

I am the one who tried.

So don't determine anything. Know your place.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 391
Message 8 of 10

@SiberiaWolf wrote:

You can determine???

Based on what? Did you gave experience with it as well? Because I've not heard or seen about it anything here. The best thing that you can do (without actual first contact with the problem) is ASSUME at the most.

I am the one who tried.

My, that is exceptionally rude, but setting that aside - I've tried to provide information based on research.  Here are a few links:

ThinkScopes review.  You'll notice that they list an m.2 option for the T460p but not for the others:

https://www.thinkscopes.com/2016/01/03/closer-look-at-2016-t-series-t460-t460s-t460p-t560/

Some other links indicating that T460s and T460 do not support an SSD in the WWAN slot:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Thinkpad-T460s-M-2-42MM-for-SSD-is-this-...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T460-M-2-Spec/m-p/3311039/highlight/true...

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/49kr7r/t460s_m2_2242_ssd_in_wwan_slot/

Those were the ones I examined before replying above.  I can probably dig up more.

As to "my place" ... it's to help where I can.  Sometimes it's based on direct experience.  Other times it's based on taking the time to do homework - not assumptions - which all would be advised to do before making purchase decisions.

You were given bad information.  Your own experience verifies that the laptop doesn't support an SSD in the WWAN slot.

good luck,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 379
Message 9 of 10

@SiberiaWolf wrote:

You can determine???

I am the one who tried.

Be civil.

It is a non-negotiable expectation of all members of this peer-to-peer community.

For your reference, here are our Community Guidelines: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs/Lenovo-Community-Participation-Rules/m-p/1

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

SiberiaWolf
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 339
Message 10 of 10

You right! I was a bit out of the line! Sorry. Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors