Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wzc110
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,499
Message 1 of 20

T460s Display Won't Wake From Sleep

I received my brand new T460s on 6/1/2016. Unfortunately, an issue that has been happening more and more frequently is that my display will not wake up from sleep. Sometimes when I open the laptop lid, the screen will remain black, even though everything else seems functional (the fingerprint reader light will light up green, I can hear the USB sound effects when I remove and re-insert my smart card, I can adjust my keyboard backlight, etc).

I already have all the most recent drivers available from Lenovo System Update installed. The only thing I can do when the display does not wake up is to force a shutdown by holding the power button for >5 seconds.  Even adjusting my laptop to Hibernate instead of Sleep will still sometimes result in my display not waking up. Any idea how to fix this?

Guru
Views: 12,487
Message 2 of 20

Re: T460s Display Won't Wake From Sleep

Have you updated the BIOS to 1.11? Also, update the display graphics driver. Both are on the Support website.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, UHD 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.24,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 12,472
Message 3 of 20

Sounds to me like your Windows is crashing/blue screening (BSOD) when it hibernates, and thus cannot resume from sleep.   The first thing I would do is update all of the drivers for your systems, especially the video driver, using the Thinkvantage System Update utility.   I would hold off on updating the BIOS until all else fails, for sometimes BIOS update can go south, leaving you with a system that will not even boot.

It may be throwing a BSOD but unable to display it on screen , so check for  MEMORY.DMP file sitting in the C:\Windows folder, or on earlier Windows Systems, in the C:\Windows\MiniDump folder 

I would also run a quick Windows CheckDisk scan of hard drive since you have had to force reboots, since doing so will usually leave files orphaned etc.    

To run Checkdisk

• Right click on START and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • In the Comand Prompt Admin window type:   chkdsk c: /f   press Enter and then reboot
  • On restart CheckDisk will run, and once complete, boot back into Windows.

Running a good virus scan is also a good idea, and perhaps a scan by MalwareBytes free scanner just to get a second opinion even if you already have another AV installed.   

Good Luck, 

wzc110
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,453
Message 4 of 20

Yes, I already have all the latest drivers installed from Lenovo System Update (BIOS / graphics driver / etc). The laptop actually came shipped with BIOS version 1.11. I don't see any memory dumps, either. No errors are reported in Event Viewer when the laptop wakes up with the display off.

The workaround I'm using now is to just shut down the laptop every time I want to close the lid. The downtime is mitigated by the NVMe drive, but this is still far from ideal.

The display adapter is actually very consistently not waking up from sleep now, whether it's asleep for 30 seconds or 10 hours. Although, curious to note, on some occasions when the display does not wake up, if I simply close the lid and wake the laptop up again after it sleeps again,  the display adapter may actually wake up.

Guru
Views: 12,444
Message 5 of 20

System Update does not always have the latest versions of the drivers. Go directly to the T460s support page. There you will find a new Intel Graphics driver, and a firmware update to the Management Engine firmware. Please apply both. Also,

turn off the Windows "Fast Startup" which is on by default in the preloaded systems. This parameter causes many issues because the system bypasses significant portions of the POST routines. It actually acts more like hibernate than fast startup.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, UHD 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.24,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,437
Message 6 of 20

Look in the event log to see if a devise is having problems entering the sleep state

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
wzc110
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,415
Message 7 of 20

Just a quick update for now: I did find the newer graphics driver and Intel Management driver on the T460s support page and have installed both. Fast Startup has also been disabled. The laptop does seem to fully wake up more consistently now, but the display will still fail to wake up on occassion. So far I've found that every time the display fails to wake up,  2-3 attempts of closing the lid, waiting for the laptop to sleep again, and then waking it up will result in the display actually waking. I'll check more into the Event Log tomorrow morning.

wzc110
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,390
Message 8 of 20

More updates: there were no error or warning messages in Event Viewer regarding components failing to sleep.

However, I have an additional data point with my display issue: I've found that the display not waking up is not limited to waking the laptop from sleep. On battery power, my display is set in the power options to turn off after 3 minutes. After the display turned off from being idle, it failed to turn back on when I moved my mouse cursor. The backlight turned on, but the LCD panel was black. Instead of forcing a shutdown, I waited another 3 minutes for the display to turn off again. The display failed to turn back on with the second attempt, but the display *did* turn back on properly after the third attempt. Not sure what to make of this, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

Former Employee
Views: 12,380
Message 9 of 20

Wzc110,

Does changing the display resolution to the max settings prevent this issue from reoccurring? Also, if you select FN+F4 to put the system into sleep, then tap FN to wake, does the system resume as expected?

Thank you,

wzc110
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,373
Message 10 of 20

I have changed the resolution back to 2560x1440 from 2048x1152. Since the issue with the display not waking up is intermittent, I will have to spend some time testing it to see if it occurs again.

Fn + F4 is not set to put my laptop to sleep, and I am unfortunately not familiar with where I should change the setting to do this.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors