Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbrons
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,505
Message 1 of 18

T460s Fingerprint Windows 7

Hey Guys,

I just installed 5 x L560 where I didn't get any problem with the driver installation of the Fingerprint.

But I try to install the Fingerprint driver of a freshly new T460s. The installation of Windows 7 x64 is done via MS SCCM, when the installation of Windows is done, I make a Lenovo System Update to get the last updated driver.

Everything works fine, except the Fingerprint device (Unknow Device in the Device Manager).

I searched for the last driver on Lenovo website, and found a freshly new version (29/07/2016) over here : http://support.lenovo.com/fr/fr/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T46...

I installed this driver. Got no warning message, just asked to reboot the computer. Done. After that, I go check under the Device Manager and see that the Unkown Device  (USB\VID_138A&PID_0090&REV_0164) is always present without installed Driver.

I try also to configure my fingerprint via the Lenovo Touch Fingerprint Software (All Programs) but I get this message : "The Device is not connected to the computer. Please insert the authentication device".

My first supposition is that the driver Lenovo gived is not correct, under Windows 7 x64 Enterprise.

I saw that the device is Synaptics Metallica and is functionning correctly with a new Windows 10 Entreprise installation. The driver is correctly installed and the name under Device Manager is correctly set as "...Synaptics Metallica..."

So not a hardware device problem.

Thanks for the help Smiley Happy

David

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 12,457
Message 2 of 18

Re: T460s Fingerprint Windows 7

Could you please try to clear the fingerprint sensor flash in BIOS Setup?

1. Reboot and press F1 to enter BIOS Setup
  2. From Security menu, choose Fingerprint item
  3. Select the option "Reset Fingerprint Data"
  4. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS Setup
  5. Boot to Win7, is the device working now?

dbrons
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,420
Message 3 of 18

Hey,

I did your request.

Reboot. Launched "Touch Fingerprint Sofware", I enterd my Windows password : "The device is not connected to the computer. Please insert the authentication device."

In Device Manager : "Unknown Device" is still present.

dbrons
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,411
Message 4 of 18

Btw, on the Lenovo Website we can found the driver only for 8.1 / 10 ...

Synaptics Metallica Touch Fingerprint Driver for Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit), 8.1 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad
dbrons
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,402
Message 5 of 18

But there is the software given by Lenovo for the Support under Win 7 : http://support.lenovo.com/fr/fr/downloads/ds105410

This package installs the Synaptics fingerprint driver to enable the Synaptics(Validity) VFS7500.

Supported ThinkPad Systems

• P50, P70
  • T460p, T460s
  • X1 Carbon (Type 20FB, 20FC), X1 Yoga
  • Yoga 260
INTO THE README:

Software name Lenovo Touch Fingerprint Software Supported models Products with Synaptics(Validity) VFS7500 sensor Thinkpad P50/70 Thinkpad Yoga260/Y260/S1 Thinkpad X1 Carbon/X1 Yoga T460s T460p Operating Systems Microsoft windows 7 32&64bit Version 1.00.11

dbrons
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,376
Message 6 of 18

Ok answer from the Lenovo support:

"Driver maybe not yet compatible with Windows 7 x64 Enterprise"
Lenovo Employee pjorgensen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 12,359
Message 7 of 18

the fingerprint software you linked works correctly in a deployment. the biometric device in device manager has the driver installed and i can enroll fingerprints using the fingerprint software.

if you're going to add this to your task sequence, create a package with the following command line: setup.exe /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /NORESTART

make sure it's added AFTER the Setup Windows and Configuration Manager step.  Throw in a restart computer step near the end of your task sequence as well.

if you have other systems in your environment that use this same task sequence but don't need this software, you can add an IF condition with a WMI query that only targets any of the supported systems in the list, for example:

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystemProduct WHERE Version='ThinkPad T460s'

also, if you want your domain users to be able to login to their systems using biometrics, the GPO will need to be enabled (if you already haven't done so). 

• COMPUTER CONFIGURATION > ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES > WINDOWS COMPONENTS > BIOMETRICS
  • Set the following policies to “Enabled”
    1. Allow the use of biometrics
    2. Allow users to log on using biometrics
    3. Allow domain users to log on using biometrics

dbrons
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,354
Message 8 of 18

Hey,

I will try this.

Can you check the Hardware ID of your fingerprint device please?

Is this the same I posted earlier?

Lenovo Employee pjorgensen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 12,347
Message 9 of 18

it's the same hardwareID as yours.
dbrons
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,344
Message 10 of 18