Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkeilhauer1
What's DOS?
Views: 336
Message 1 of 3

[T460s] Rapid battery drain and hard shutoff, but used to be normal

Hi, I bought my T460s about four years ago and havenever had any issues until now.

Recently (within the past month), I have experienced 2 problems with the battery. First, the drainage on battery suddenly became about 1% per minute, when it used to take hours of high memory usage to drain most of a full battery. Second, below 40% charge, the laptop is liable to suddenly turn off without warning. I haven't changed how I used the computer, and the change in battery life happened basically overnight.

At this point I get about an hour's use out of my battery not really doing much with my computer before it gets into hard-shutoff territory under 40%. The built-in Windows 10 battery monitoring metrics don't tell me much since it only looks at apps by % usage, and I really doubt Chrome suddenly became capable of draining 60% of a battery in an hour compared to how much battery life I used to get with Chrome open.

What steps can I take to resolve this problem, or even just further identify the cause?

Thanks.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 298
Message 2 of 3

Re: [T460s] Rapid battery drain and hard shutoff, but used to be normal

Hello

The battery could be dying and windows is not reading it correctly why it would suddenly shut down. Use windows search and type command prompt then run it as an administrator. In command prompt type powercfg /batteryreport and press enter. This command will create a battery report under C:\WINDOWS\system32\battery-report.html or, in Windows versions older than Windows 10, under C:\Users\[Username].

Open the file to view it. Temperature and life cycle based on the depth of discharge are main causes. You can post the report here. 

To lookup and purchase parts you may use this link for instructions: https://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/solutions/ht036683?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6&Source=social_eservic....

Moderator comment: Link expanded for transparency.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

thusgaard
Paper Tape
Views: 255
Message 3 of 3

Re: [T460s] Rapid battery drain and hard shutoff, but used to be normal

I have precisely this problem with two new batteries in my T460S.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors