Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
d2t
Paper Tape
Views: 12,028
Message 1 of 7

T460s SSD Type and Bus Speed

Hello,

I am thinking of buying the T460s with a base configuration and then upgrading the SSD myself.

Question -

If I choose to buy the 128GB SATA SSD, does this mean that the SSD slot can only have SATA M.2 SSD in it?

Similarly, If I choose the 256GB PCI-NVMe, then the SSD slot can hold only NVMe M.2 SSDs in it?

Is there even such a thing as a universal M.2 slot, that can take SATA OR NVMe SSD?

Thank you very much.

-D

Bink
Punch Card
Views: 11,987
Message 2 of 7

Re: T460s SSD Type and Bus Speed

Per https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t4... , I think taking the SATA route with an aftermarket PCIe NVMe should be fine, but I too would like confirmation from an authority here.

That said, if Lenovo’s markup for storage wasn’t so obscene, this would be less of a concern.
helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 11,921
Message 3 of 7

The M.2 slot can take both SATA and NVMe(PCIe).

d2t
Paper Tape
Views: 11,879
Message 4 of 7

@helloguys - Thanks for the enouraging info Smiley Happy

I also got the same feedback from the Lenovo sales rep via chat.

Is there a doc/publication where this is mentioned?

Just out of curiosity - what would the slot look like?

For a PCI-NVMe SSD to use 4 lanes(which the T460s is supposed), the SSD has to be M-keyed.

All the SATA SSDs that I 've seen so far are B keyed or B+M keyed.  If the slot on the motherboard accepts SATA, then it has to be B+M keyed. In this case, the physical connections are missing, so the NVMe SSD would only be able to use 2-lanes.

Am I right or did I get all of this up-side down?

Thanks.

helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 11,860
Message 5 of 7

I don't have a T460s yet.  Per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2 M-key supports SATA as well.  So I guess Lenovo got some SATA drives that work with M-key.

"For example, M.2 modules with two notches in B and M positions use up to two PCI Express lanes and provide broader compatibility at the same time, while the M.2 modules with only one notch in the M position use up to four PCI Express lanes; both examples also support SATA storage devices."

Also look at the last row (M-key) in the table.  It says SATA is supported with M-key.

d2t
Paper Tape
Views: 11,824
Message 6 of 7

That is helpful.

Thanks a lot.

onix
SCSI Port
Views: 8,275
Message 7 of 7

@d2d, did you install the NVMe SSD on the T460s. Can you report back on UEFI/BIOS needs and changes, OS drivers, and more importantly, disk access and latency vs. spec for the one that you bought?

You can use Crystal Mark for testing. Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors