Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkotsonas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 127
Message 1 of 5

T460s Thinkpad battery issue

Hello,

I have a user here who has a T460s laptop who's batteries are no longer holding a sufficient charge.

Pretty sure the laptop has 2 (internal) batteries. When the use takes the laptop out of the office, it's losing power after
about an hour, maybe an hour and a half.

After an hour, I was able to open a chat session with a tech, who said if we clicked on the battery icon down in the sys.

tray, there'd be an indicator if the battery/batteries were bad. However, we did that and there is no such indicator or

alert.

Clicking on the same batttery icon and then clicking on Battery Settings, there are no notifications posted in the window

that opens giving any indication of any issues with the batteries.

Despite that, the batteries no longer retain the charge they once did.

Is there any onboard diagnostic that can be run to determine which, or both batteries are bad?  Or any other location

where there might be help

I need to weigh the cost of replacing the batteries vs. having the user get a new laptop.

Thanks very much!

Jim

ThatsSoTimur
HDMI
Views: 102
Message 2 of 5

Re: T460s Thinkpad battery issue

Laptop batteries lose their battery capacity over time just like on a smartphone. You can try using the Power saver in Windows 10 Power plan options to prolong your battery life but if the battery of your laptop really quickly drains then you should check that out.

You can get a battery report by running this command in Command Prompt on Windows 

powercfg /batteryreport

It will also let you know where the file is stored.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the rest of your day.

jkotsonas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 97
Message 3 of 5

Thanks much for the reply back.

I'm aware that batteries lose their oomph over time.  I need to verify that there is in fact an issue in

order to either a. replace the batteries, or b. replace the laptop (as it is about out of warranty). Sometimes

just saying "the battery only lasts an hour" doesn't cut in 'round these parts.

I addition, where I work, despite the fact that the laptop is about 3 years old, they tend to go for the less expensive

option, so I need to discern the issue, and then relay the cost if we were to replace the batteries as

an option.

The laptop still has windows 7. I tried running this via powershell:  powercfg /batteryreport /output "C:\battery-report.html"  

but that only works on W10.

I'll try your command and see if I can get any helpful info.

ThatsSoTimur
HDMI
Views: 94
Message 4 of 5

I recommend you replace the battery since the laptop's warranty will almost expire soon and the battery life is only 1 hour. And you should consider updating to Windows 10 since it's modern,has a built in antivirus system and Windows 7 will only last till January 14 2020. You can give it a try and if you don't like it there is a option in Windows 10 to roll back to Windows 7 if you upgrade.

Philosopherdan
Paper Tape
Views: 71
Message 5 of 5

As there are two batteries you could try taking one out, see how long it runs for on the other battery; then repeat the other way round. It may be that there is only one duff battery.

You can try replacing the batteries one at a time too

I find the non-Lenovo batteries on Amazon, ebay etc work ok (as long as the seller says it works in the T460s). 

Sometimes reinstalling makes the machine run more efficiently and so use less battery.

Sometimes a virus is operating in the background, using battery, so that is worth checking for too.

The Thinkpads usually last for years, so if the user is not doing anything too demanding with it, I would just replace the batteries.

Good luck!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors