Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmonag
Paper Tape
Views: 995
Message 1 of 8

T460s USB Speed pop up

Hello,

I have several T460s that customers are complaining about a pop up in the system tray stating "This device can perform faster.  This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port...."

This is popping up with no USB devices plugged in.  The cuase seems to  be related to USB Coposite Device, I can force the pop up to come up by removing it from the Device Manger and then scanning for new hardware devices.

This particular USB Composite Device is what the touch screen system uses (when I remove it, the touchscreen no longer functions until I allow Windows to re-install it)

Th Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host controllers have driver dates of 06/05/2015, but the driver date on the USB Composite device is 6/21/2006.  Any updating I try to do just tells me I'm already using the proper driver.  (either searching the internent or pointing to the folder I download from lenovo's website)

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 974
Message 2 of 8

Re: T460s USB Speed pop up

what OS?

kmonag
Paper Tape
Views: 970
Message 3 of 8

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 967
Message 4 of 8
kmonag
Paper Tape
Views: 958
Message 5 of 8

Hmm, interesting.

I actually use the SCCM driver pack in my task sequence, but it will be easy enough to add a step to do that regedit to clear the warining.

I have also tested the physical USB ports and found them performing at the proper speeds, so I just want to get rid of the message, I'll give this a try.

Thanks

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 937
Message 6 of 8

You probably have a combination of Huawei WAN adapter and SunplusIT camera in your model.  We have seen that these two devices on the same USB bus cause the Intel monitor application to think that one of them can perform faster.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the system, just this message pops up at every boot.

There's a blog post with our finding here that you may find useful:

http://thinkdeploy.blogspot.com/2016/07/usb-balloon-tip-after-deploying-skylake.html

kmonag
Paper Tape
Views: 908
Message 7 of 8

OK, thanks for the help, but this did not resolve the issue.

I am actually only using the SCCM driver packs, I do not use "Thininstaller"

So I have no intel (or an other) USBMON software running.  No processes show in TaskManager and I see noting in msconfig related to USB monitor tools.

It appears to be whatever tool Windows uses by default.

Reading the article you linked I know I have a similar issue, but not identical.  Mine seems to be related to the Touch Screen system.  I have a couple of non-touchscreen versions of theT460s and they do not have this problem.

Any other suggestions?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 900
Message 8 of 8

I re-read your original post and I realize now that the message you are seeing is related to USB 2.0, and not USB 3.0.  Sorry I missed that detail before.

Anyway, now that I realize this, I agree with you that it must be a different issue and not related to the USB 3.0 monitoring software.

But I don't have any idea about it, or how to turn off the error message...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors