cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dom2114
Serial Port
Views: 1,214
Message 1 of 15

T460s fingerprint reader: internal reader + external USB reader not playing nice

I have a T460s on a fresh install of Win10.

I just bought an external USB fingerprint reader https://www.amazon.com/Fingerprint-PQI-Matching-Biometric-Security/dp/B06XG4MHFJ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&....

My hope was that when my laptop was docked (on a ThinkPad Pro dock), I could plug it into a USB port on my external keyboard and login using it.

For the time being, I'm just trying to get it working with the laptop undocked (i.e. forget about external keyboards, USB hubs etc.).

Starting from scratch (i.e. fingerprints cleared in both Windows and the BIOS, and the external USB NOT plugged in), I setup the internal fingerprint reader, add prints, and am able login with no problem.

When I plug in the external reader, drivers install just fine.  I enrolled a different finger, and was able to login just fine.

However, when I unplug the external USB reader, I am never able to get the internal reader working again.  With the external unplugged and after a full restart, the internal will still not let me log in: the fingerprint option doesn’t even show up at the Windows login screen.

The only way I can get the internal working again is by plugging the external in again (so that it appears in Device Manager), uninstalling both fingerprint devices (just uninstalling the external USB does not work), restarting the computer, and reenrolling my fingerprint using the internal.

I know there is an option in the BIOS to just use the internal reader, but this isn’t what Im looking to do.

I have it set to External -> Internal but, as described above, the laptop does not revert back to internal when the external is not present.

Can someone help?

Is the USB reader just no good and I need to try another one?  If so, can someone recommend one?

Im not looking for a Lenovo keyboard that has a built in reader as I want to ultimately plug the USB reader into my Corsair Strafe USB keyboard.

Thanks.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,164
Message 2 of 15

Re: T460s fingerprint reader: internal reader + external USB reader not playing nice

I checked here with the Lenovo USB fingerprint keyboard and didn't have any trouble getting it to work.  After enrolling fingers on both devices, then I can use either one to log into Windows.  

The BIOS setting is only about preboot authentication.  This doesn't apply to you since your external fingerprint reader doesn't support preboot authentication (since it's not a Lenovo device).  Either way, it should not affect Windows behavior at all.

I guess the Synaptics fingerprint driver (for the interal reader) is getting into a bad state so we will need to dig into that.  Can you look for errors in Event Viewer?  Check in Application, System, and also Applications and Services Log -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Biometrics -> Operational

Also, does the "Synaptics WBDI(SGX enabled)" device show up normally (with status = "This device is working properly") in Device Manager?

dom2114
Serial Port
Views: 1,158
Message 3 of 15

Re: T460s fingerprint reader: internal reader + external USB reader not playing nice

Yes, the "Synaptics WBDI(SGX enabled)" device shows up (both before and after installing the external USB fingerprint reader) with status = "This device is working properly".

I checked the Event Viewer:

• Applications and Services Log -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Biometrics -> Operational is always blank
  • Security seems to be showing no issues and correctly displays all the logons and logoffs
  • Application does not show any errors, but I do see the following entry for source = SynTPEnhService:  "The description for Event ID 0 from source SynTPEnhService cannot be found.  Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer of the installation is corrupted."  etc.

Please let me know if there's any other info I can provide.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,149
Message 4 of 15

Applications and Services Log -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Biometrics -> Operational   should not be blank but maybe it's disabled.  Under the "Actions" pane on the right-hand side, can you check whether there is a link to "Enable Log", and if so, enable it?

dom2114
Serial Port
Views: 1,143
Message 5 of 15

Thanks for the info.  You were right, the log was not enabled.

After enabling and logging on and off a few times, no errors are appearing in the log.

With the external plugged in, I get about 6 'Verbose' entries essentially saying the logon was successful.

When I remove the external reader and try to lock/login, no further entires are made in the Biometrics/Operations log (presumably because fingerprint login is no longer an option at the lock screen).

dom2114
Serial Port
Views: 1,140
Message 6 of 15

FYI I was testing this on BIOS v1.22 (not sure if this makes a difference).

Also, if there is a better USB fingerprint reader that you think will cause less problems, please let me know.

Thanks.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,127
Message 7 of 15

Besides the Lenovo-branded keyboard, I have never used any other USB fingerprint reader.  One of my colleagues uses a Microsoft fingerprint keyboard with his ThinkPad and doesn't have this problem either.  I will ask our test team what devices they have used (if any).  Also, we will check with Synaptics about how to debug this particular problem where the internal fingerprint reader stops working.

One other thing to check, look in "View all Problem Reports"  (just type this into the start menu).  Are there any crashes reported for the time when you reboot/lock and the fingerprint login option is missing?  It might be something seemingly unrelated to fingerprint (such as WUDF host).

dom2114
Serial Port
Views: 1,123
Message 8 of 15

So it looks there are only 2 entires for today:

The first section is "Driver Software Installation".  I think this is just because I've been installing/uninstalling the drivers/devices so often as I try to troubleshoot the issue.

The other is "Windows Driver Foundation - User-Mode Driver Framework Host Process":

This was from maybe about an hour ago.

Description
The Windows User-Mode Driver Framework detected an unhandled exception within the host process. This report contains information about the error and the drivers running in that process and will be used to improve the quality of these drivers.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: WUDFUnhandledException
EventClass: UnhandledException
Component: Host
ExceptionCode: c0000005
RelativeFaultingAddress: 34d68
CrashingModuleName: synaWudfBioUsb.dll
CrashingFileVersion: 5.05.3100.0052
LastDriverName: synaWudfBioUsb.dll
LastDriverVersion: 5.05.3100.0052
UMDFVersion: 2.17.0
HardwareId: (DumpedSeparately)
OS Version: 10.0.10586.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: e820c743186022fced451b1c1bd9ff77 (127952474401)

However, I just installed everything from scratch to see if I could replicate this error, and I could not...so Im not sure how useful this error report is.

Could you tell me what Microsoft fingerprint reader your colleague uses out of interest?

dom2114
Serial Port
Views: 1,114
Message 9 of 15

FYI, I've been also trying this exact same setup on a new T460p on Win7.

It doesnt seem to be having the same issue where it won't default back to the internal reader when the external is removed.

However, I can't get the external USB reader to allow me to login.  It doesn't want to use the fingerprint that was already enrolled using the internal reader, and I can't get the Lenovo Touch Fingerprint Software to enroll additional fingers using the external reader.

I tried disabling temporarily disable the internal reader in device manage to try and force the Lenovo software to use the external reader, but no luck.

Any advice on this?  Thanks!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,113
Message 10 of 15

My colleague is using a Microsoft fingerprint keyboard:  https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/keyboards/microsoft-modern-keyboard-with-finger...

We checked with Synaptics about this issue and found out that it's also their sensor in the device you have (from the amazon link).  So maybe it's some conflict between the Synaptics device/driver for the internal fingerprint reader, and the Synaptics device/driver for the external fingerprint reader.  They are going to try to reproduce and debug your issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors