Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
norricorp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 180
Message 1 of 5

T460s is completely dead

I have a T460s. It is 3.5 years old and so out of warranty.

I always shutdown after a session, I do not let it sleep by closing the lid. I generally run it off the mains.

I used it at the weekend to do a Windows update and Lenovo update. This may have included bios, certainly one has been done recently but bios updates always reboot and then restart.

Any, after 3 or 4 days, I used the laptop again. And nothing. Press power, no lights, no flash, no fan. Just nothing.

Now possibly I did let it sleep (I am sure I didn't but ...) And during that few days the batteries drained. And then the charger broke. But that seems like a lot of unlikely events.

Perhaps the CMOS battery has drained but I thought they lasted years. And would a flat CMOS battery brick a machine?

I have taken the base cover off and everything thing is there with no obvious broken leads.

So can anyone tell me what would cause this? It can't be Windows because we are not even reaching bios, let alone an OS. I can't boot from a USB because ther just is no power.

Regards

John

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 139
Message 2 of 5

Re: T460s is completely dead

Don't do this if you have an unknown supervisor (BIOS) password.  

Do a complete reset by unplugging and removing the bottom cover and disconnecting the internal battery.  Unplug the CMOS battery and press the power button a couple of times to drain capacitors. Put it back together; plug it in and let it start.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
norricorp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 116
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for this Rich. I wil try this.

Just to check - an admin password for the BIOS does not to have been set? On my previous thinkpad, I had admin and startup passwords set for the bios.

But for the T460s, I did not set the startup and am pretty sure I did not setan admin password for bios.

Also, how could the T460s have ended up bricked? I have seen dead PCs before but they always showed some sign of life before dying. I have never seen a laptop just do nothing?

Regards,

John

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 106
Message 4 of 5

No.  You don't need an admin password.  If you already had one and didn't know it, the reset would wipe the date and time out.  You couldn't set them without getting to the BIOS.

"how could the T460s have ended up bricked?"  I'm not sure, but I've seen it before.  Perhaps, just before it ran out of power, it tried to hibernate and couldn't  finish.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
norricorp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 80
Message 5 of 5

Hi Rich,

yes that worked!

Thank you so much and should you ever be in Reading UK then I owe you a drink!

I had to set the time in the bios on power up (month/day/year took a few minutes to realise) and windows PIN was no longer valid or working so I reset the pin and fingerprint but I have power and lights.

Once again, many thanks.

John

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors