PL

3 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 1 of 3

T460s slow nvme ssd performance

2018-01-14, 15:49 PM

Hello,

I've bought a T460s with a stock 256gb sata ssd and I wanted to upgrade it to a fast NVMe storage however there is an issue of speed. The stock drive works just fine as rated, however NVMe drive is incredibly slow, far below specification and in some regards even slower than a mechanical hard drive. Here are results :
https://i.imgur.com/gPh0WRt.png

So in attempt of fixing the issue I have tried numerous things, here's a list.

- First I tried the nvme drive in a different system to see if it's not faulty, it was connected through an adapter in my desktop system so the performance was sub par true potential, but still far above the speeds I'm getting with the laptop - https://i.imgur.com/nHhK1p1.png

my nvme drive on the left and my desktop 2.5 inch standard sata ssd on the right - the drive is certainly not the issue here

- update the bios, the laptop I bought had stock bios on it, so I have tried updating it to a newest version with the meltdown/spectre fixes, that did not help, I have also tried flashing one below version to see if the meltdown stuff affects performance, but it does not

- I looked into bios options if the drive is limited to sata or something like that, but didn't find any options there, win 10 was installed in UEFI mode

- I'm running Win 10 PRO with all the updates as of 14.01.2018, I tried bootable ubuntu live usb and try benchmarking the drive with hdparm and the in built benchmark tool, same results as on windows, I have not tried Win 7 yet but I think I can safely assume that won't help either.

- Some people on internet suggested stock Win 10 nvme controller is garbage, I tried installing other vendors controllers(like samsung) but it doesn't change anything

- All the other drivers are the newest versions coming from lenovo website, I tried downloading chipset and other drivers directly from intel and other vendors, no change here either

- NVMe ssd has a firmware upgrade, it was upgraded from 20004A00 to 20005A00, but it didn't change anything

- I have attempted to contact local lenovo support, but for the past 2 weeks they didn't respond with anything other than "they must perform internal tests".

Is there anything else I can do before claiming warranty checkup for this laptop ? Is there a chance that the mainboard or the m.2 socket itself could be faulty ? Or some sort of odd incompatibility occurs here ? Lastly I can say that the system is overall less snappy and feels slower with NVMe drive rather than stock ssd, so it isn't just benchmark wars either, I can't even copy files over lan at full speed because write seems to be stuck at measly 50mb/s. Please help me with this issue, I really like this laptop otherwise.

Regards

Options

3 Posts

01-14-2018

PL

3 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: T460s slow nvme ssd performance

2018-01-22, 23:08 PM

Bumping the thread, as well as giving some more updates and more troubleshooting i went through.

First of all I asked around for any possibilities of a slow performance like this, and nobody has ever seen anything like this before, so back to basics it is. I verified the ssd smart health, it seems good as well as laptop and ssd thermals, someone suggested to me that drive could be overheating and not performing to it's full potential. Running 10gb AS SSD test(which takes forever to finish btw, >30minutes) all thermals stay within safe operation, so it cannot be thermal throttling of any sort, I have also made sure that every power saving feature avaliable is turned off and laptop is plugged to AC, still results remain the same.

https://i.imgur.com/d0oc8Ne.png

What's the most strange thing about this problem is that in a very specific benchmarking situation using ubuntu, the ssd actually performs to it's full potential, at least for read speeds. Using ubuntu built in disk benchmarking tool on some parses it actually goes up to 2.4 gb/s which is what the drive should be working at all times. But it still needs to "ramp up" before that happens, and it doesn't happen every time either, it's very strange and I've never seen anything like this before.

https://i.imgur.com/AsBOpSX.png

This kind of benchmark result is a one in a few attempts situation, most of the time the performance stays just as crappy as it is on Windows 10, I installed Windows 7 just to be sure, and as expected it doesn't change anything. Typical ubuntu benchmark below.

https://i.imgur.com/USVWfW4.png

Lastly I want to mention lenovo phone tech support which has not even attempted to help me with this case, instead they told me that they don't support non official ssds. When I requested a service checkup of the device I was denied, a very dissapointing customer service, I expected more out of business tier Thinkpad line, what's the warranty good for when I can't even use it ? Regardless, the laptop still remains basically unusable with nvme ssd.

Options

176 Posts

12-06-2017

GB

298 Signins

2557 Page Views

• Views: 2557
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: T460s slow nvme ssd performance

2018-01-22, 23:57 PM

Have you tried a different NVMe ssd in case the one you have is bad?

Thinkpad T480s, Thinkpad T460p
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save