Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slvander
Punch Card
Views: 7,027
Message 1 of 7

T460s switch from Battery 2 to Battery 1 causes immediate power-off

I have a T460s with 2 batteries per the attached status.  Battery 2 is discharged first, then battery 1.

Issue: When battery 2 depletes, instead of switching over to battery 1, the laptop powers off without warning.  Just... POOF.  I have updated BIOS and am running Windows 10 Pro.

BIOS is at N1CET58W 1.26

I have Lenovo Vantage loaded, but when I run it to check for updates, none of the 'System Update' buttons results in any action being taken.  

I have done some searching but have not found any information on why the switchover from Battery 2 to Battery 1 would cause an instant power off.

slvander
Punch Card
Views: 7,003
Message 2 of 7

Re: T460s switch from Battery 2 to Battery 1 causes immediate power-off

Found an existing thread, even though the battery ID's are swapped.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T460s-Sudden-death-when-swiching-to-batt...

slvander
Punch Card
Views: 6,980
Message 3 of 7

Here's a capture of my battery status a couple minutes before another faulty switchover to battery 1.

T460s_battery2.jpg

...and now what it shows after re-powering on battery 1 only...

T460s_battery2_depleted.jpg

Since this is spontaneous, it is a critical issue for me as my battery reserve is now only 50% of a working T460s.

CrypticLottery
Token Ring
Views: 6,966
Message 4 of 7

Battery 1 most likely needs to be replaced. The reason why it immediately powers off is because the battery is at the end of its serviceable life.

You can confirm this by opening an Administrative command prompt and typing the following:

powercfg /batteryreport /output C:\batt.html

Close the command prompt.

Open File Explorer and navigate to your "C" drive and double-click on the 'batt' file.

This will open in a web browser and you can see the status of your batteries. Most likely you will find one your batteries with a full charge capacity no where close to your design capacity.

slvander
Punch Card
Views: 6,959
Message 5 of 7

@CrypticLottery, thanks for pointing me to the command to get stats on my batteries.  You may be right, but after I power back up, I can run my laptop on Battery 1 with no problems and it lasts the normal amount of time.

At the moment, it seems to have switched over from battery 2 to battery 1 without the "POOF"...

T460s_battery2.jpg

dtpe
What's DOS?
Views: 6,914
Message 6 of 7

Same here. The problem here started after the latest FW update. I'm using Linux and worked flawlessy before this update.

And I do not think it's a battery issue, being the laptop not even year old.

ChargedCircuits
Paper Tape
Views: 5,900
Message 7 of 7

I had the same problem on my T560. The outboard battery went down to 0% and the laptop shut off unexpectedly. Once off, I couldn't get the laptop to turn on without the power adapter, despite having a charge on the inboard battery. I was using charge threshold in Lenovo Vantage to charge the inboard battery to no more than 50 percent. I disabled the charge threshold, turned the laptop off and allowed both batteries to reach a full charge. Once charged, I unplugged the power cable and held the power button for 30 seconds. The laptop turns on when you release the power button. Holding the button is supposed to release any lingering charge from capacitors. One or both of these things fixed the problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors