Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel_Locke
Paper Tape
Views: 113
Message 1 of 2

T470 - Built in battery suddenly drains first after Battery reset

Hey,

I know there have been a couple of posts on the T470 and other models draining the built in battery first. It was an issue for me when I got the Thinkpad, but after an update shortly after, the problem was solved. Usually external drained first and I rarely had my internal ever come to use as you can see from the cyclecount (I have a 72 Wh external one). After 1 1/2 years I thought I'll do a battery reset / calibration within Lenovo Vantage. Now suddenly it does drain the internal battery before the external. I read a couple of posts saying that the idea behind this is to wear down the batterys evenly. That works with the fact that my internal just has 87 cycles as opposed to 210 cycles on the external. I really would like to keep it like that, I mean come on, what kind of bull**bleep** is that? I mean, do I evenly use my emergency wheel on my car every now and then? No! I want it to work, when I really need it!

Anyway, so I'm writing basically cause I was wondering if there's anyone else who had this occuring especially after recalibrating the batterys and if there's a known solution (which I assume Lenovo is still hesitating to provide).

Please do your homework Lenovo! Thank you!

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 71
Message 2 of 2

Re: T470 - Built in battery suddenly drains first after Battery reset

There are several other threads on this issue, and it does not appear that any Lenovo employees have commented on the situation. Every owner would like the situation that you wish for, either the external battery will always drain first, or that the drain order be user-selected. That is not the way it works currently.

My guess is that until you did the reset that the system "thought" the internal battery was weak, or since it was uncalibrated did not know the condition of it, and thus was draining the external battery first. Having discovered that your internal battery is "strong" it is now trying to equalize.

At least as far as I know, there is no way to alter this behavior.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors