Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RoboMarth
Paper Tape
Views: 8,341
Message 1 of 24

T470 - Choose to drain external battery first [Feature Request]

Hello!

For more context: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T470-power-bridge-wired-battery-dischar...

Currently, the Power Bridge system on the T470 first drains the battery with the least wear based on the Full Charge Capacity (decreasing over time) vs. Design Capcity (constant) from the Lenovo Setting app, so that both batteries wear equally.

While this is good for something like the T470s with two internal batteries or even for the T470 when both batteries are 24Wh, this feature is somewhat annoying when one of your batteries is 72Wh external and easily replaceable and the other is 24Wh internal and usually not worth replacing.

So, I would like to request that the user, through the Lenovo Settings app, be able to choose between two options: whether to continue with the current behavior of equally draining the two batteries (this can be the default), or choosing to revert to the old behavior of always draining the external battery first.

Thank you for your consideration.

Juergen_Hausman
What's DOS?
Views: 8,134
Message 2 of 24

Re: T470 - Choose to drain external battery first [Feature Request]

I would prefer to change to discharge external battery first, than internal

so I would have plenty of time to replace the external batt with a fully charged one

while the internal batt would have still a lot of charge.

I use T440s where I could not find a way to change to me required setting.

wpietri
What's DOS?
Views: 7,954
Message 3 of 24

I would also like this feature. One of the reasons I got the Thinkpad 25 was that I could easily swap or replace the external battery as needed. Replacing the internal battery will be a much bigger pain. The current "wear leveling" behavior is the opposite of what I want; I'd be happy to replace the external battery 2-3 times (as I did with my last Thinkpad) before replacing the internal.

jaspast
Paper Tape
Views: 7,859
Message 4 of 24

I want this feature too. It's how my T450s operated. I assumed it was just a mistake on the T25, and I've been waiting for it to be fixed.
Highlighted
cmdrSlavik
Paper Tape
Views: 7,676
Message 5 of 24

The "Me too" button disappeared as soon as I logged in, so I'm replying to say "me too!". In fact, I created a forum account just to write this exact request (draining external battery first).

I bought my T470 in the summer before starting graduate engineering studies. I knew I would be coding and typing a lot at my desk, so I wanted a Windows machine with decent specs, a variety of ports, and upgradeability. I knew I would also present work at weekly meetings, so I also wanted a portable machine with decent battery life. The T470 fit the bill quite well, and I satisfied with my purchase so far.

However, I really wish my T470 would drain its external battery first. My previous laptop's battery degraded quite quickly after a year, so I'm really trying to take care of my new T470: I've set the Lenovo Settings to charge either battery up to 80% starting at 40% since I work primarily at my desk under AC power. When my T470 tries "leveling" battery wear, the laptop will use one of the batteries (frequently the internal battery) down to 1% (!) which completely negates my efforts to prolong battery life.

I'm rarely away from a plug for more than an hour, so I don't expect the battery to drop below 40%. If I am away from a plug, I would like my T470 to use its external battery first because the external unit is easily replaceable.

Lenovo, please at least make this an option in Lenovo Settings. This discharging method doesn't have to be the default discharging method, but such a method would serve as a great token of goodwill to the community. As a hitherto-consumer laptop owner, I am very impressed by my T470's quality. Heck, even the fact that I can set custom charge settings is very cool, so I humbly also request the ability to discharge the external battery first.

Respectfully,

cmdrSlavik

kohaeyo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,893
Message 6 of 24

Currently I'm using T25 with two external batteries. My plan was to swap the external battery if one is drained but the system is always draining internal battery first. For people like me who's using multiple external batteries, the new algorithm(discharges the battery which is worn the least,) is an useless feature. At least give us an option so we could select to use the new feature or not.

dgillmor
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,590
Message 7 of 24

The reasons Lenovo is doing this (may) make sense for some users, but not for people who are often out of the office with their computers, e.g. on airplanes. As others have suggested here, please create fix that gives users the option which battery to drain first. 

Quite happy with the T470 in other respects, but I strongly, strongly prefer the way the T460 worked in this regard. As someone who buys a new computer annually, I'm disappointed at the lack of option in this case.

(Running Ubuntu 16.04)

amorphousadam
Paper Tape
Views: 3,501
Message 8 of 24

This is very inconvenient, an option to force external battery to drain first would be very welcome.

skehmatics
What's DOS?
Views: 3,454
Message 9 of 24

Also chiming in to say that this feature is essential. With the current system, there is basically no consistent, on-line way to swap batteries, plus the harder to replace battery is worn just as much as the trivial to replace one.

What's the point of having two without those features?

mcvla
Core Memory
Views: 3,430
Message 10 of 24

@skehmatics

>What's the point of having two without those features?

My guess this is nothing personal, just business (c)

Had Lenovo let customers choose which battery to discharge first, they would surely prefer using the external one. Some of the customers might even wear it out within the warranty period. And come up with a warranty claim. This would cost Lenovo money, obviously.

As for respect for the customers - well, the cash inflow is more valuable, don't you agree? ; )

Top Kudoed Authors