Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaz21
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,816
Message 11 of 46

Re: T470 - Choose to drain external battery first [Feature Request]

I am joining the call for an option to allow the user (e.g. in Vantage) to allways drain the external battery first.

This option is for me really the whole point of the power bridge as it makes the ThinkPad usuable beyond the lifespan of other computers - becuase you simply buy a new external battery when the current one is depleted without having to open the machine!

In the oppposite case buying a laptop with only one internal battery is in fact a better option since you only have to buy one and not two batteries when you reach the lifespan.

Lenovo please listen to your users. I am a fist time ThinkPad buyer and was counting on this option.

amorphousadam
Paper Tape
Views: 1,699
Message 12 of 46

I would also like to request this feature.

We use external chargers and swap batteries as needed, this seems to throw a wrench in the algorithm and it always discharges the internal battery first no matter how many more cycles it has had vs the external battery. 

The ability to force it to use the external first would be very welcome and appreciated.

KarmaBurning
Paper Tape
Views: 1,579
Message 13 of 46

I want to choose to drain always the external battery first!

jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 1,502
Message 14 of 46

Is this still an issue? The current deals are enticing me to take a look at the T480. If the battery discharge cannot be set to a proper pattern, then I have no interest in a dual battery system. My old Vaio's main battery still holds over 4 hours of battery life (after 5 years!), while two external slices took a majority of the beating. Draining the external battery first, is the only logical option. It's the whole point of a two battery system. Even when someone plugs an external battery into a phone, it's done with the explicit understanding the external battery will feed the entire phone without draining the internal battery.

kohaeyo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,450
Message 15 of 46

Is it so hard to add this feature? It makes more sense to let users to select which battery to drain first for thinkpads with multiple batteries.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,345
Message 16 of 46

I am new to ThinkPad and use Debian on my T480. I also find the discharge behavior annoying. It always discharge the internal battery first util 5%, then use the external one. Moreover, I observed that it also has a strange charge behavior. It seems charge the internal to 79%, then charge the external to 90%, then back to internal one ....

※ Hope that lenovo can update the bios to let the external battery discharge first.

(Sorry for my bad English)

Highlighted
legitcheeko
Paper Tape
Views: 1,205
Message 17 of 46

I got a t480 for school, and I chose this laptop specifically for its battery life. Hopefully this thread isn't dead, because this feature is what I expected buying Lenovo for the first time. Draining the internal battery before the external battery hacks years off of the lifespan of the laptop, as others have mentioned, due to battery degradation. The external battery should be used first, and the internal battery should be used as a last resort, so that I can replace the external battery when I need to. 

Please add this feature in. 

souldier
SCSI Port
Views: 1,127
Message 18 of 46

It is September 2018 and I can confirm this is still an issue. I wish I had read these threads first as it would of prevented me from buying a new T480. In the first few days the external battery would drain first. Now the internal battery always drains first. This negates the whole hot swappable battery feature and it seems obvious that everyone here wants the external battery to drain first. It almost makes me wonder if Lenovo has another agenda of shortening the life span of the internal batteries so people are led to replace their laptops sooner.

ThinkPad T480 | i7-8650u | 32GB | MX150 | WQHD | 72wh
GarethM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,052
Message 19 of 46

Just registering my severe annoyance at this issue also. A key purchasing decision for me was the hot swappable battery. I find now that my internal battery appears to drain first - certainly it had a much lower power level than the external one, and to make matters wose the windows power manager said that while I was plugged in the external battery was charging first and not the internal one.

Also just while investigating this matter and working out which battery was the internal one and which the external one (the manual doesn't help you here - in fact the manual doesn't even talk about how to hot swap) I took my external battery off and then put it back on again and windows hasn't detected that it has been reconnected....!

Please resolve this Lenovo by providing an option to drain external battery first, or I will be asking for a full refund of my laptop as the hot swappable battery feature has essentially been missold, because there can be no guarantees that when my battery runs out, that I'll be able to hot swap.

GarethM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,050
Message 20 of 46

Sorry just to add but I'm requesting this feature for the T480

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors