cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pjc123
802.11n
Views: 574
Message 11 of 15

Re: T470. Has anyone been able to clone the HDD to a Samsung 960 Nvme drive?

Can the system boot up from the source HDD in external USB box? 

I am already ordering a 3.1 SATA cable or enclosure to give that a try, because then I could load all the driver's and just use the Samsung cloning software if it worked.  Unfortunately enclosures and cables don't exist yet for Pcie drives, so I can't do that same thing in reverse.

BTW, did you replace the drive cable and add the bracket for m.2 SSD?

Of course.  The drive is recognizable by both the laptop hardware as well as gparted (I initialized the drive there so I know it is working properly).

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 571
Message 12 of 15

The comment regarding the 1st Q&A above.

As you performed the HDD clonning via interim Clonezilla image, I'd assume this might be a cause of issue. I.e.the application hasn't perfomed the clonning correctly. I used it once with Lenovo preloaded system, no avail even with win7 and MBR partioning. Then I used several times Acronis TIH and its simplified free version for SSD makers (Intel in my case), both worked smoothly. The difference with your case is I kept the source drive in the laptop whille destination drive was in external box. I wasn't able to boot up the system from the source drive, probably because of the box or something else.

So, in your case I'd perform the following actions:
1. repeat the clonning using another application. Acronis TIH is as an example

2. if #1 no avail, try to implement NVME drivers to the system on the HDD. Probably the booting in safe mode will allow to do that. Then perform the clonning. To be honest, I didn't do such tasks with HDD/SSD drivers.

3. I'm afraid you should perfom the partial actions in #2 above even with external USB SATA box, disregarding whether the system will be able to boot from the source HDD in the USB box. I hope you know Acronis allows to install the application on the source drive or use bootable USB stick.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

pjc123
802.11n
Views: 564
Message 13 of 15

Yes, already in my plans to try other cloning programs. I got a lot of recommendations for Macrion Reflect, but no one tried it with this specific Pcie application.  I am going to try several at the same time because if I have to spend another 15 to 30 minutes trying to take the back cover off the T470 to swap the drives I am going to smash it with a slege hammer...and yes I am following the instructions like others that curse this machine.

pjc123
802.11n
Views: 516
Message 14 of 15

I tried Macrium Reflect to do an image backup/restore...same problem.  I have a USB external enclosure on order for the HDD; don't know if I can boot from it, but if so I can try Samsung's migration software, as it has worked well in the past.

Highlighted
pjc123
802.11n
Views: 425
Message 15 of 15

SOLVED:  After hitting F12 I went into the Windows Boot menu rather than going into the 960 drive, played around and not sure what I did, but anyway it is now booting into Windows from the image of the HDD that I restored onto the 960 using Macrium Reflect.  I suspect the Clonezilla image was good as well.

On a side note I now have an extra set of parts to install an Nvme drive (Bracket and cable) if anyone is interested and doesn't want to wait 4 months like I had to.  I just want what I paid for it plus what it would cost to ship it out, unless someone wants to pick it up.

Here are the speeds I am seeing. Can't complain.

CrystalMarkEVO960.jpgSamsung 960 EVO 500GB in T470

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors