cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pjc123
802.11n
Views: 1,181
Message 1 of 15

T470. Has anyone been able to clone the HDD to a Samsung 960 Nvme drive?

Before removing the HDD from my T470 I made a Clonezilla image.  I then installed the Samsung 960 and restored the image.  Unfortunately upon booting into Windows I was greeted with "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart", so that did not work.  I have done many Clonezilla images and restores, but not between two completely different drive technologies.  So if anyone has been able to get this to work with either a T470 or similar laptop, what cloning software did you use, and did you do it with an image backup/restore, or direct clone with the HDD connected to the laptop with either a SATA to USB, or SATA to USB-c cable (If that's the case what cable worked OK)..

Lenovo Employee Asbed_Lenovo
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,155
Message 2 of 15

Re: T470. Has anyone been able to clone the HDD to a Samsung 960 Nvme drive?

Few Questions which might lead to your answer.

1. Are you running Windows 7 or Windows 10.

2. The NVMe drive actually has no native support in Windows 7 and requires hotfixes to get up and running. 

3. Can you see the NVMe drive in your boot options within BIOS. Could any boot options in the BIOS inhibit the device from booting to your new SSD.

If you are running Windows 7 and havent installed the below hotfixes before switching drives you will get a bluescreen due to no drivers being available within 7 itself to handle the NVMe drives.

I suggest installing these then creating another clone and testing results however there are quiet a few variable to double check alongside this. 

pjc123
802.11n
Views: 1,148
Message 3 of 15

1. Are you running Windows 7 or Windows 10.

Win10 pro 64

Someone suggested installing Samsung's Nvme driver before imaging.  Will give that a try.

3. Can you see the NVMe drive in your boot options within BIOS.

Yes.  I also made it available in gparted.

Could any boot options in the BIOS inhibit the device from booting to your new SSD.

Not that I see.

Lenovo Employee Asbed_Lenovo
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,120
Message 4 of 15

Hey PJC123,

Technically you don't need to inject the NVMe drivers into 10 as 10 itself has native support for the technology.

You may however need the IRST drivers

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/au/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

To be honest cloning from one HDD technology to another is a fairly finicky process you might be better off just installing a base OS from scratch you have a M.2 Drive now (trust me its super fast Smiley Very Happy )

I will try to help further if the IRST driver doesn't work. 

pjc123
802.11n
Views: 1,117
Message 5 of 15

Thanks, will give the IRST driver's a try. I remember installing those in my desktop many moons ago. Reinstalling Windows would be a nightmare with all the settings I would have to re-setup in my many applications, so that would be a last resort.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,109
Message 6 of 15

If the SATA drive has been removed from the 2.5" bay, iRST drivers haven't an object to be installed on. Once NVME SSD is inerted, win10 should apply its built-in standard Express Controller drivers, even if the OS image has been clonned, i.e.not installed from the scratch. SATA entry should disappear from the system in this case.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

pjc123
802.11n
Views: 1,104
Message 7 of 15

It dawned on me, isn't the IRST driver for SATA drives, not the 960 Pcie drive type drive?  Also, it probably isn't going to let me install the Samsung 960 driver without the 960 installed, but I will give it a try.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,091
Message 8 of 15

When I set up my T470p with PM961 earlier, I noticed SATA controller missing, so, the attempt to install iRST (just to confirm) wasn't avail because of device ID missing to do that. Instead, win10 installs built-in Standard NVME Express Controller driver. Note, both SATA controller and NVME Express Controller are placed in different Device Manager category. Then I've upgraded standard OS drivers to Samsung' original ones to speed up write performance.

Again, just perform the search in the iRST drivers installation file (.inf) for Samsing NVME controller IDs - ven_144d&dev_a804 or ven_144d&dev_a802. You'll not find them.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

pjc123
802.11n
Views: 1,085
Message 9 of 15

@x220forme.  Reading through your comments, I am not sure what you are saying to resolve the issue.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,079
Message 10 of 15

I didn't advice the solution to resolve your particular issue as I don't know it clearly. In order to install NVME drivers - OS' standard or Samsung' original - you have to boot the OS with NVME drive connected to the m.2 slot, as an ideal case. I can't explain the reason the clonned system doesn't apply its built-in NMVE drivers during boot up, i.e. Samsung' original drivers aren't even needed for that.

Can the system boot up from the source HDD in external USB box?

BTW, did you replace the drive cable and add the bracket for m.2 SSD?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors