Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunilkul
Paper Tape
Views: 734
Message 1 of 6

T470 M.2 NVME 2280 to 2.5 SATA SSD downgrade

Hi, I have a T470 with a 256G M.2 NVME 2280. I need more storage space and not performance. (SATA III SSD) performance is ok for me. I already have 1TB SATA III 2.5 SSD drives. How can I used these 2.5 SSD drive in place of M2. NVME?

Thank you in advance

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 731
Message 2 of 6

Betreff: T470 M.2 NVME 2280 to 2.5 SATA SSD downgrade

The SSD should be able to be installed without any problems. The M.2 SSD is currently plugged into the 2.5 "slot via an adapter, which should be removed before changing.
sunilkul
Paper Tape
Views: 710
Message 3 of 6

Hi Negan, thanks a lot. I opened the back cover.

However I do not see a SATA adaptor to which I can plug in SSD drive after removing the M2 drive. I am including the picture. Am I missing something?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 697
Message 4 of 6

Hi,

Replacing the m.2 drive with a 2.5" device requires a different cable and bracket.  Like this (I'm not recommending a particular vendor, this was a convenient example)

https://www.amazon.com/Deal4GO-Connector-Thinkpad-DC02C009L00-SC10G75198/dp/B07P9XFS97?th=1

The HMM can help explain things:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t470_hmm_en_sp40m11890_03.pdf

Another option that doesn't sacrifice speed: if you don't have a WWAN card you can use that m.2 2242 slot for a SATA SSD to add storage to what you already have.  There are a lot of 512GB devices available from recognized brands - with 3-to-1 range of prices.  There is also at least one vendor - with a name I don't recognize - with a 1TB device.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

sunilkul
Paper Tape
Views: 665
Message 5 of 6

Thank you @zoltanthegypsy.

Got it. Yes I don't use WWAN so I can use potentially

https://www.amazon.com/KingSpec-2242-Internal-Solid-Ultrabook/dp/B07CJ4BSK8/

Just wanted to check if this the place (please see attached picture) where it should go.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 653
Message 6 of 6

yes

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors