Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcwalls1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,666
Message 1 of 3

T470 Multiple Displays without Docking Station

Just started using the T470 and am attempting to setup dual monitors from my home office without a docking station.  Can I use the HDMI port to connect one monitor, and the USB C port with an HDMI converter to the 2nd monitor? 

I'm able to connect the HDMI port to one monitor, I'm also able to connect one monitor using the USB C port with HDMI convertor.  However, when connecting the two at the same time, screen continues to flicker and only the monitor connected via HDMI port works.  Won't detect the USB C with HDMI converter. 

Monitors are Viewsonic 2270SMH-LED.

lenovouser4work
What's DOS?
Views: 2,573
Message 2 of 3

Re: T470 Multiple Displays without Docking Station

You are on the right track.  The converter could be the issue.  If its not capable of handling the resolution then the results are what you are seeing.  I have mine setup the exact same way since its the only way to get both my monitors working.  I bought the StarTech Thunderbolt 3 4k@60Hz HDMI adapter on Amazon and its working perfectly, I have one HDMI plugged into the laptop directly and the other through the Thunderbolt3 adapter.  

I had the screen flickering and single monitor displaying even using the Pro Dock.  This appears to be a limitation of the way the laptop and connectors are limited in lanes.

This worked for me, hope it works for you and others as well.

IRISHKEVIN3
What's DOS?
Views: 2,031
Message 3 of 3

Re: T470 Multiple Displays without Docking Station

So, just to confirm, using two monitors with the T470 is doable without a docking station? 

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors