cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Typication96
What's DOS?
Views: 1,684
Message 1 of 4

T470 PCIe to SATA SSD. Do I need any adapters?

I assume that because the PCIe SSD is in an adapter tray that a normal 2.5" SSD or HDD will work without adapter brackets or cables.

To be clear, I have a T470 with a PCIe SSD. I want to replace that drive with a 2.5" SATA SSD.

Can anyone clarify this?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,661
Message 2 of 4

Re: T470 PCIe to SATA SSD. Do I need any adapters?

Hello and welcome,

I don't have personal experience but looking at the Hardware Maintenance Manual - ThinkPad T470 starting with page 72 it appears that there's more to it than that.

Hopefully others with hands-on experience will reply.

[edit] It's possible that they share a common bracket and cable - with an m.2 adapter in your configuration.  Again, hopefully others can clarify.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,625
Message 3 of 4

At least new cable for SATA drive is needed, FRU 00UR495, instead of currently installed m.2 cable, FRU 00UR496.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Typication96
What's DOS?
Views: 1,614
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for the reference. It does indeed appear that the cable for the M.2 is different from the 2.5" drives.

It also seems like the M.2 bracket is made to fit the 2.5" slot so I am going to guess that a 2.5" drive with rubber bumpers will probably fit naturally.

Best

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors