US

6 Signins

119 Page Views

• Views: 119
  • Message 1 of 7

T470 Second Battery Missing in Windows

2018-02-09, 14:31 PM

The subject says it all...

It is plugged into the slot. 24Wh. The power menu only shows one battery, it doesn't even show that another battery is present or missing.

What do I do?

Solved! See the solution
Options

8076 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77127 Signins

2181699 Page Views

• Views: 2181699
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: T470 Second Battery Missing in Windows

2018-02-09, 16:25 PM

Hello and welcome,

Please pardon a couple of questions:  which do you consider the 2nd battery?  The external one?  Do you actually have an internal battery?

The PSREF document for the T470 lists the internal battery as optional - although I don't spot any models in the list that don't have it.

If you aren't certain that you have two batteries, please post the unit's MT-M (NOT the serial number) and we can check.  Or you can by entering it or the S/N in the SUPPORT search box.

Apologies for asking the obvious, but it happens from time to time that a member ends up with a laptop lacking an internal battery. 

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

3 Posts

02-09-2018

US

6 Signins

119 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2018-02-09, 16:32 PM

Valid question!

I consider the second battery to be the removable battery in the bottom rear of the laptop.

I have verified that I have an internal battery by disconnecting the AC power source, removing this "second" battery (which is 24Wh) and continuing to utilize my computer on the "internal" battery.

Despite whether or not I remove or replace the "second" battery, the computer only shows one battery present, with no distinction that a second battery is present and/or missing.

Options

11015 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39574 Signins

412927 Page Views

• Views: 412927
  • Message 4 of 7

2018-02-09, 17:28 PM

"The power menu only shows one battery" - What power menu?  Are you looking in the control panel?  Lenovo Vantage?  Clicking on the battery icon in the taskbar?  Are you still under warranty?  If less than a year old, the battery is probably still under warranty.  Your problem sounds simple, but it could be a dead external battery, a bad charging circuit or something wrong with the information you are seeing.  I wouldn't advise taking apart a machine that is still under warranty. You can call support.   If it were mine and I wanted to be sure, I would disable the internal battery in the BIOS, remove the external battery and also the bottom cover.  I would disconnect the internal battery and put the cover back on.  I would plug in the external battery and then the A/C, and then turn it on.  See if it thinks you have a battery.  Then shut down unplug the A/C and see if it starts.  If you take it apart and then send it in for service, be sure to get things hooked up and get it back together so it looks like it did before you started.

Manual:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t470_hmm_en_sp40m11890_03.pdf

Rich

To help with forum searches, check this out: https:/forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs/Using-Browser-Search-to-find-your-answers-in-Lenovo-and-Moto-Community/m-p/5016916

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

02-09-2018

US

6 Signins

119 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2018-02-09, 17:30 PM

Thanks, Rich,

The power menu I am speaking of is in the Windows system tray:

I appreciate your guidance and will contact support.

Options

17 Posts

02-01-2018

US

22 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 6 of 7

2018-02-09, 19:57 PM

Wow that helped!! thanks 

Options

3 Posts

04-09-2020

PK

2 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 7 of 7

Re:T470 Second Battery Missing in Windows

2020-04-10, 8:44 AM

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T-series-Laptops/T440s-External-battery-not-working-plus-m2-ssd-issue/m-p/5008331

Hi Rich,

The above link is my problem. I tried this solution.

I would disable the internal battery in the BIOS, remove the external battery and also the bottom cover.  I would disconnect the internal battery and put the cover back on.  I would plug in the external battery and then the A/C, and then turn it on.  See if it thinks you have a battery.  Then shut down unplug the A/C and see if it starts.

But when I reassemble the external battery again doesn't get recognized instead the laptop works on internal battery only. What can I do? Please help...

Thank you!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete