Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcmar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,025
Message 1 of 5

T470 Thunderbolt 3 DisplayPort and Slim Tip charger options

Hi, I have a T470 laptop with the USB-C charger. I'd like to connect a DisplayPort LCD screen to use as a second display while simultaneously being connected to A/C power and charging my batteries. I am having a bit of trouble figuring out what my options are.

1. I could buy a Thunderbolt 3 hub/dock with a DisplayPort connector on it. I would then connect the charger to one of the USB-C ports on the hub/dock, and the screen to the DP connector. From what I can see, these hubs are fairly expensive, so given that I currently don't need to connect any other TB3 devices I'd like to avoid it if possible.

2. I could buy a USB-C - DP adapter or cable, but I have not seen anything with some kind of pass-through function which would allow me to connect my charger. I thought daisy chaining was something TB3 can do, but unfortunately the charger does not have the ability to do this (I know a DP connection has to be at the end of the chain).

3. The T470 has a slim tip charge port, in addition to the ability to be charged via the TB3 port. Perhaps a USB-C - slim tip adapter exists which would allow me to connect my charger to the slim tip port, and not worry about the lack of daisy chaining in point 2. I've found a different adapter (wrong interface and wrong direction), but nothing that can do this.

Thanks for any info/advice!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,963
Message 2 of 5

Re: T470 Thunderbolt 3 DisplayPort and Slim Tip charger options

How about just buying a Lenovo Slim Tip power adapter?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
marcmar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,930
Message 3 of 5

Yup, that'd be another way around it, though I'd feel a bit silly buying a whole new charger. Maybe I just need to use the HDMI port instead, with an adapter for the LCD. I guess Thunderbolt 3 isn't quite as magical as it seems!

marcmar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,748
Message 4 of 5

In the end, I ended up getting a Startech CDP2DPUCP USB-C - DP adapter which also has USB power delivery. A bit pricey, but it's small and works like a charm.

chx
Token Ring
Views: 3,819
Message 5 of 5

Xiaomi has a USB C to DisplayPort + USB adapter which also allows for Power Delivery. You can also use your slim tip charger while using it or an USB C charger, both works, tested. Note the two ports are USB 2.0 but that's still useful. If you don't want/need USB ports then there are many cheaper and smaller USB C to DP + PD adapters on Amazon like  http://a.co/4ThOR0v this one. But, neither the price difference nor the size difference was enough for me to say no to two USB ports from. (Especially because by now Xiaomi  is actually a big brand which I trust more than some noname shop.)

As for using a slim tip to actually plug into USB C, that's difficult. Doable but difficult and ugly. See, Dell and HP both have adapters (Dell 470-ACFG, 470-ACFH, HP N2Z65AA) which take their respective barrel connectors and convert it to USB C. So you need to convert the slim tip to a Dell or HP sized barrel. Such adapters are not made AFAIK but you can convert the slim tip into an 5.5mm/2.5mm standard barrel jack which just about a bazillion universal chargers/batteries etc use and from there you can convert to either Dell or HP. So altogether you would use three converters. Alternatively, there's something called the Elecjet Anywatt which supposedly does the slim tip to USB C conversion in a single step, however the company is sketchy AF and I wouldn't buy anything from them: the comments on their Kickstarter doesn't paint a happy picture but also they sell a version with Magsafe-to-USB C and if Apple lawyers could find this company they surely would shut that down, they are notoriously unfriendly to anything unlicensed Magsafe. So if there's a problem, good luck getting hold of 'em.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors