Did you mean: 
Cappi
Paper Tape
Views: 3,434
Message 1 of 27

T470 Thunderbolt firmware update

Hi. 

I received the following when opening lenovo Vantage;

A Thunderbolt controller has experienced a problem and cannot connect to devices or other computers until new firmware is installed.  Other Thuderbolt ports may be functioning normally.  Please contact PC manufacturer for a firmware update to restore full Thunderbolt functionality.

What can I do to overcome this?

BR

Cappi

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,430
Message 2 of 27

Re: T470 Thunderbolt firmware update

Have you tried installing the latest firmware from here?  https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

What happens?

Cappi
Paper Tape
Views: 3,397
Message 3 of 27

Yes,I did try that and I got an error message that the exception has been thrown

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,381
Message 4 of 27

@Cappi wrote:

Yes,I did try that and I got an error message that the exception has been thrown

Please post the screenshot that shows the error that you see.

Cappi
Paper Tape
Views: 3,369
Message 5 of 27

T470.png

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,366
Message 6 of 27

Is there any "Thunderbolt Software" installed in Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features?  If so, what version is it?

Cappi
Paper Tape
Views: 3,360
Message 7 of 27

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,352
Message 8 of 27

This is an old version of software and I think it might be causing the problem.  Unfortunately, due to a bad design by Intel, the software doesn't get updated by Windows Update or System Update unless you actually use a Thunderbolt device.  However, you can update it manually by following these instructions:

1.  Download the update from here:  https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

2.  After n1qtd13w.exe is downloaded, run it.  

3.  At the end, uncheck the box about "Install Thunderbolt software now"

4.  Open the folder C:\DRIVERS\WIN\Thunderbolt

5.  Run setup.msi and follow the on-screen instructions.

6.  Reboot

7.  Try running the Thunderbolt firmware update again

Please try it and let me know how it goes.  If you run into any trouble, please give me the details, screenshots, etc and I will try to keep helping you.

Cappi
Paper Tape
Views: 3,334
Message 9 of 27

Works a treat.  Thank you for all of your time in sorting this out.  Appreciated.

MI_Soldier
Paper Tape
Views: 2,673
Message 10 of 27

Good afternoon,

I've been having the same problems and getting the exact same error messages. I've done all of the steps above, multiple times, and I still can't get my laptop to recognize any monitors plugged in via the USB-C port. I'm running Windows 10 Pro (64 Bit), I've updated the laptop (T470S - 20JS) firmware, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Thunderbolt software based on the guidance below, and I still can't get the laptop to recognize the external display. The Thunderbolt controller is showing up in my control panel, so the software is working at least. When I plug in the USB-C device, I can hear the computer notification sound that usually occurs when attaching external equipment, so it seems like the computer is recognizing that I'm adding equipment. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Respectfully,

Brian

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors