NL

26 Signins

187 Page Views

• Views: 187
  • Message 1 of 8

T470 can't disable bitlocker

2017-09-11, 21:26 PM

Hello,

I recently bought a T470 (7th generation processor) for myself to do some college stuff on. After installing Ubuntu 16.04 as a dual boot and changing the Grub to make windows a priority in the bootoptions, Windows started to ask for the Encryption Key for the BitLocker everytime I try to boot into Windows.

I have the standard Windows 10 home edition installed and can't find any options to disable the Bitlocker. I do not need the bitlocker since I dont have a lot of sensitive data to protect as a student. I also do not want to reinstall Windows because that would errase my programs and will not be benefitial for my deadlines.

Is there any 'simple' way to get around this? To disable Bitlocker completely for example? I have found a lot of information about the TPM buit I can't see my solution in all of the topics that already have been made (I did a lot of pre-research beforehand of writing this topic)

The only option I want to try is to erase the TPM in Windows (through tpm.msc) and to configure the bios to secure boot and UEFI only. But I don't want to try it if it will make my Windows un-usable. I can also change the Grub to what it was before in Ubuntu and see if that changes things, but I don't think it will help. Tried this, didn't work.

Can anyone help me in this matter?

Solved! See the solution
Options

11220 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39673 Signins

414683 Page Views

• Views: 414683
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: T470 can't disable bitlocker

2017-09-11, 21:43 PM

Windows 10 home doesn't support bitlocker, so it won't have turn-on or turn-off options.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

11 Posts

09-11-2017

NL

26 Signins

187 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2017-09-11, 21:46 PM

I know it doesn't support Bitlocker, but it is still locked. I used the factory Windows installation that came with the laptop.

The box was sealed with the Lenovo seal, so no-one changed anything about the laptop except me.

But this is also the problem then I guess, it ships automatically encrypted and I can't do anything about it. All I need/want to know is how I can disable this.

Options

11220 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39673 Signins

414683 Page Views

• Views: 414683
  • Message 4 of 8

2017-09-11, 21:57 PM

I believe you, but I have never heard of a windows 10 home machine shipping with a bitlocker-encrypted drive.  I thought maybe you switched drives or encrypted using Ubuntu.  Are you sure itdidn't get turned on in Ubuntu?  Perhaps someone else can add something.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

11 Posts

09-11-2017

NL

26 Signins

187 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2017-09-11, 22:03 PM

It is the Windows Bitlocker asking me for the key, wich I can find online on my Microsoft account. It also only asks for a key when I want to boot into Windows. For Ubuntu it gives no problems and it boots just fine as it should.

So my guess is that Ubuntu didn't do anything with it.

If I find the time to reinstall Windows, should I disable the TPM so the drive won't be encrypted again?

Options

211 Posts

07-31-2013

US

296 Signins

4856 Page Views

• Views: 4856
  • Message 6 of 8

2017-09-11, 23:32 PM

I don't know the combination, but I was playing around with the boot options in BIOS on my T470, and on the next boot it asked for the bitlocker key.

I eventually set the BIOS settings as follows so I could run Linux on a second internal hard drive as well as on a usb stick.  You can also try a BIOS reset.

In BIOS I disabled Secure Boot, set it to UEFI + Legacy Boot combo, and set it to boot from Legacy first / UEFI second.

If you ever get back into Windows, I imagine the elevated command prompt method below might work to disable Bitlocker.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/37060-turn-off-bitlocker-operating-system-drive-windows-10-a.html#option3

I have Win pro (I never buy the Home edition because I always come across some feature that I really need), so disabling bitlocker was easy for me.

Options

11 Posts

09-11-2017

NL

26 Signins

187 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2017-09-12, 7:51 AM

I didn't alter the bios before the problems started happening. Everything is still as it was.

My Linux installation is on a different partition of the same hard drive. I made the partition in Windows so I was sure everything should be correct before installing Linux.

I haven't tried to disable secure boot yet, it was Enabled at default. But I don't think it will remove my Bitlocker.

I can get into Windows with the key and I tried it through the CMD way, where the command wasn't recognized (since it isn't a feature in Windows Home)

I also tried Powershell just now and it gave me this error (in Dutch):

PS C:\Windows\system32> Disable-BitLocker -MountPoint "C:"
Disable-BitLocker : BitLocker-stationsversleuteling kan op het station met het besturingssysteem pas worden uitgeschakeld als de functie voor automatisch ontgrendelen is uitgeschakeld voor de vaste en verwisselbare stations die aan deze computer zijn gekoppeld. (Uitzondering van HRESULT: 0x80310029)
At line:1 char:1
+ Disable-BitLocker -MountPoint "C:"
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], COMException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException,Disable-BitLocker

Rougly translated:

Bitlocker station encryption can only be disabled on the station if the function for automatic unlocking is disabled for internal and external drives that are coupled to this computer.

About the external drives:

I had a Ubuntu installation USB in my laptop while installing Ubuntu. After that I removed the USB drive and it booted just fine for once. After I changed the grub on the second boot, the BitLocker was activated. I also had a SD card in my pc but I don't think Windows ever installed anything on that card according to encryption.

Internal drives changes:

Before installation I made a partition on my hard drive through Windows to install Linux on. After that Windows still booted fine.

Options

11 Posts

09-11-2017

NL

26 Signins

187 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2017-09-13, 16:39 PM

UPDATE: I fixed it!

On another forum they redirected me to a more in depth way to tamper with Windows BitLocker through Powershell.

What I did:

1. Start Powershell as admin

2. used the command

Suspend-BitLocker -MountPoint "C:" -RebootCount 0

Whisch responded with the same dialog as Get-BitLockerVolume, but then under the 'protection' colom it said 'off' instead of 'on'.

The "-RebootCount 0" is needed so it doesn't give a limit for the suspension untill you manually Enable it again.

I hope this helps for other people too! :)

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete