Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blarg
Paper Tape
Views: 19,591
Message 1 of 3

T470 charging from USB Type-C

My original 45W slim connector charger failed and I decided I wanted to try charging with the Type-C port, which was on option when I originally configured the laptop. I purchased a Karstcave wall charger which claims to be able to charge 61W using all the following protocols PD3.0 / PD2.0 / QC 3.0 / QC 2.0 / FCP / PE2.0 / BC1.2. However when I plug it in to the type C port, I get an error that the power delivery of the charger is insufficient for the laptop (It was only consuming 8W at the time). This is silly since techically this charger is more powerful than the previous one I had. The battery indicator also showed that neither battery was being charged.

The charger is listed for PD delivery at: 5V/3A, 7V/3A, 9V/3A, 12V/3A, 15V/3A, 20.3V/3A

What is going wrong in this setup? Is there somewhere I can enable type-C charging? I can't even find a way to know what power level the charger negotiated with the laptop. Does the T470 follow a particular protocol or is it proprietary?

Guru
Views: 19,568
Message 2 of 3

Re: T470 charging from USB Type-C

Hi,

Sorry I cant answer all your questions someone else might.

I do know there is no setting to turn on on usb-c charging.  On my tp 25 it came with a slim tip adapter.  However I use the following

http://accsmartfind.lenovo.com/products/4X20M26268

and it works fine.  I just plug it in to the usb c port.  Nothing to turn on.

Also here is the tech specs

usb c charger.JPG

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/options_iso/65w_std_acadapter_usbc_4x20m26268.pdf

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 19,535
Message 3 of 3

Re: T470 charging from USB Type-C

The standard for usb-c power delivery is complicated.  It allows power supplies to deliver power at 4 different voltages and capacities up to 100w, but many power supply makers have interpreted the rules incorrectly, or at least differently from computer manufacturers.  If the negotiations between the power supply and the laptop are not successful, the laptop simply won't take power.  People have been successful using Lenovo chargers and also several power supplies from several other vendors.  I have one that I use.  You can search the forum.  I am not familiar with the one you tried.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors