Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ergt
Paper Tape
Views: 9,957
Message 1 of 15

T470 fuzzy/blurry display on external monitor via HDMI

Hi,

We recently purchased two T470 laptops. Both of these appear to have display issues when outputting to an external monitor. Text will appear fuzzy/blurry and after a couple of minutes your eyes starts to hurt from trying to focus on it.

Has anybody experienced any similar issues? We also have a T470s that is doing the same but it even has blurry text on the built in screen.

kingdamo
Serial Port
Views: 9,884
Message 2 of 15

Re: T470 fuzzy/blurry display on external monitor via HDMI

I have the same issue on the Lenovo T470 (1920 by 1080) and have even reverted back to the Lenovo Factory Image with the same results.  Its really noticeable in Office apps.  One workaround I have found to help is by going into display properties and setting the external monitor as the main monitor.  Once you change this setting you then need to log off for the change to take affect.  The problem is when you unhook the external display now the internal laptop screen is blurry and you need to log off again to correct the scaling issue.  Even when doing this and using the clear type wizard the display just isn't as crips as one would expect.

Ergt
Paper Tape
Views: 9,869
Message 3 of 15

Thanks kingdamo I tried it and it didn't help making the screen less fuzzy. I wonder if all the T470 computers are experiencing this issue...
AsMarxSaid
What's DOS?
Views: 9,626
Message 4 of 15

I have the same exact problem. Computer (T470) was purchased Sep 2017. I tried different monitors, using HDMI to VGA converters, HDMI to display port converters, tried different display settings but the external monitor looks awful. It is not even sligthly off, it is headache inducing bad. The bad quality is very obvious with any regular-small sized text. I would love to know how to fix this!!

Ergt
Paper Tape
Views: 9,621
Message 5 of 15

Our display issues went away with the latest BIOS update that Lenovo released through their System update:
https://support.lenovo.com/au/en/downloads/ds012808
Give it a go if you haven't already.
AsMarxSaid
What's DOS?
Views: 9,594
Message 6 of 15

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried the latest update but didn't make a difference. Could you tell me which monitor and cable you are using? I might try to replicate that. This is my work computer and it is impossible to work well without an external monitor.
kingdamo
Serial Port
Views: 9,590
Message 7 of 15

I will test this out on a few machine next week to see if it makes a differance.  Can you let me know what version on Windows 10 you are using. 

AsMarxSaid
What's DOS?
Views: 9,586
Message 8 of 15

I am using 10.0.14393 (Windows 10 Enterprise). I also tried your earlier suggestion to change the main display monitor. It improved the external monitor (still not very sharp) but now the laptop monitor is fuzzy. Thank you for the help. 

ianw01
Token Ring
Views: 9,580
Message 9 of 15

I have had good results with this utility: http://windows10_dpi_blurry_fix.xpexplorer.com/

However, I was interested to see that on their page they now note that Win 10 Creators Update (1703) included the fix in Windows itself. If you are still on 1607 (which I think maps to your build 14393) you might first see if there is an upgrade option.

kingdamo
Serial Port
Views: 9,578
Message 10 of 15

It does get a little better in 1703/1709 but still not as crisp as one would expect on an HD display to be.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors