Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pier_P
What's DOS?
Views: 3,076
Message 1 of 4

T470 hard disk upgrade

Hello,

I would like to upgrade the hard disk of my T470 with a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB. Following some topics on this forum, in my understanding is possible to install both a NVMe and a 2,5" SSD but, when I opened the laptop, I found only the connector for NVMe (the one in place for the 256 GB hard disk). Do I need a cable to install a 2,5 SSD?

About the new hard disk, is possible by chance to save the recovery partition by Lenovo and transfer to the new SSD?

Thank you very much in advance. I look forward to hearing from the community.

Pier

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,057
Message 2 of 4

Re: T470 hard disk upgrade

Hello and welcome,

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T470/ThinkPad_T470_Platform_Specificatio...

The way I read the specs it is possible to install either a 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD or a 2280 NVMe SSD but not both.  The cabling and mounting is different:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T470-PCIe-to-SATA-SSD-Do-I-need-any-adap...

You can install a 2nd SSD in the WWAN slot if there is no WWAN card installed:  m.2 2242 SATA.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Pier_P
What's DOS?
Views: 3,041
Message 3 of 4

Thank you very much zoltanthegypsy! Any hint on how to save the Lenovo recovery partition? I've read some topics about AOMEI Backupper but is not clear to me if I have to create the partition on the disk first or if the program us able to create the partitions and save the recovery partition.

Thabks again and best regards.
Pier

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,036
Message 4 of 4

Sorry, forgot to (try to) answer that...

Since you mention a recovery partition I'm guessing you have Windows 7 as a downgrade from Win 10.  Cloning software may be able to transfer that along with the OS parition - depending on the software you use - but it's a crap-shoot whether the recovery capability is preserved.  I"ve had mixed results over the years.

I'd suggest that you make recovery media using the available Lenovo/Windows tools.  Double click on Q: or use one of the start menu options (wich vary depending on the exact preload you have - maybe Rescue and Recovery).  That will ensure that you can recover to factory if need be, but of course won't be a backup of your current machine state.

If perchance you're running a Win 10 preload there won't be a recovery parition.  You can still make media via "recovery drive" in the Windows search box.  That will actually save the current state of the OS (as updated) but not user-added software and state.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors