Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chopperdave
Fanfold Paper
Views: 307
Message 1 of 4

T470 hard drive upgrade path forward and memory upgrade

Hi,

I am planning on upgrading my wife's T470 signature laptop hard drive and ram.  Here are my current specs:

Part No: 20HDCTO1WW

S/N: PF-******
●  Intel Core i5-7200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 3.1Ghz)
●  Windows 10 Home 64
●  4GB DDR4-2133 SODIMM
●  Intel HD Graphics 620
●  500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm, 2.5", SATA3

Based on Lenovo parts upgrade page, it looks like I can go with either a 2.5'',7mm,SATA or a M.2,2280,PCIe3x4,SAM,OPAL

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E500B/AM)

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-Internal-MZ-76E500B-AM/dp/B0781Z7Y3S/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qi...

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB M.2 SATA Internal SSD (MZ-N6E500BW)

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-SATA-Internal-MZ-N6E500BW/dp/B078218TWQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronic...

Would it make sense to keep my existing 500 gb 7200  hard drive and go with with the PCIE M.2 sata.  That way I could copy the files over and just switch the boot order in the bios?

Also, in terms of RAM would this be compatible with my setup?

Crucial 4GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) SR x16 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT4G4SFS624A

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Single-PC4-19200-SODIMM-260-Pin/dp/B01N79H5HV/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Thanks,

Chopperdave

Moderator note: serial number removed to prevent abuse.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 287
Message 2 of 4

Re: T470 hard drive upgrade path forward and memory upgrade

@chopperdave wrote:

Based on Lenovo parts upgrade page, it looks like I can go with either a 2.5'',7mm,SATA or a M.2,2280,PCIe3x4,SAM,OPAL

Would it make sense to keep my existing 500 gb 7200  hard drive and go with with the PCIE M.2 sata.  That way I could copy the files over and just switch the boot order in the bios?

[edit - forgot my manners...]  Hello and welcome,

The way I read the base spec and the HMM, the 2.5" HDD or SSD (both are SATA) and the 2280 m.2 SSD (NVMe) are mutually exclusive.  Either option uses the main drive bay.  The 2.5" options and the m.2 require different brackets and cables.  The way the spec is written it looks like if you go with 2280 m.2 in the main bay, SATA is not supported.

It's a feasible swap but make sure you chase down the correct parts if you go to a 2280 NVMe drive.  The T470 (and its cousin the T25 RETRO) only provide 2 PCIe lanes to that SSD.  That limits bandwidth to around 1700MB/sec.  ~3x faster than SATA but not the full 4 lane bandwidth.

If you want to end up with both an SSD as a boot drive and your current spinner as a data drive, install a 2242 SATA m.2 SSD in the WWAN slot - if it's empty.  I can't tell from your MT-M if you already have a WWAN card installed.  CTO doesn't reveal build details.

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T470/ThinkPad_T470_Platform_Specificatio...

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t470_hmm_en_sp40m11890_03.pdf

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

chopperdave
Fanfold Paper
Views: 273
Message 3 of 4

Thank you very much for the explanation.  A quick glance on amazon shows that there isn't much in the way of cheap 2232 SSD. 

Therefore, I think I will replace the 500 gb spinner with a 2.5 500 gb SSD.   Do I need some kind of adapter to do the swap? or am I good with the existing setup?

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 265
Message 4 of 4

A 2.5" SSD should be a drop-in as long as it's 7mm thick (or 5 with an adapter).

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors