Options

3 Posts

10-03-2019

US

4 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 1 of 4

T470 m.2 2242 Nvme WWAN as primary OS boot drive - error from missing main drive

2019-10-03, 14:17 PM

I have a T470. I took out the main sata ssd drive from the main drive bay. There is nothing in there. That is the way I want it. I put a Lexar NM520 M.2 2242 512GB NVMe Solid-State Drive in the WWAN port. I imaged that drive. I can boot to it. I don't know exactly how as it is not listed in the bios as a boot device, but it does boot to it. I assume it has something to do with it being NVMe and not SATA in the WWAN port.

My problem is that before it boots to the WWAN m.2 NVMe drive it produces a boot error for the main drive missing. The error states MAIN DRIVE not found, esc to continue. Which requires me to push the escape button to continue booting. That is a problem for me. Is there any way to disable this main drive check? I know there is no main drive in that bay, obviously.

I called lenovo consumer support and it was like talking to someone who had never heard of a computer before. Very frustrating. 

Options

7707 Posts

01-13-2008

US

76826 Signins

2152823 Page Views

• Views: 2152823
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: T470 m.2 2242 Nvme WWAN as primary OS boot drive - error from missing main drive

2019-10-03, 15:07 PM

That slot is specified as SATA with no mention of NVMe support.  It's surprising (to me...) that it boots.  I'd be concerned that some future BIOS update would remove the ability to boot.

My _guess_ is that a SATA drive would solve the error - but that's just a guess.  I had a bootable SATA m.2 drive in my T25 - which shares  the internals with the T470.  It's in the shop at the moment.  I may need to open it and will try to run a test when I can - but can't say when that might be.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

3 Posts

10-03-2019

US

4 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 3 of 4

Re: T470 m.2 2242 Nvme WWAN as primary OS boot drive - error from missing main drive

2019-10-03, 15:30 PM

I can get around the error if I put the original ssd back in the main drive slot, and it still boots to the WWAN port ssd. I was just trying not to put it in. I will live with it I suppose. Do you happen to know what the part is for the main drive m.2 bay for the T470? Will this one work? https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/memory-and-storage/storage/HDD-BO-ThinkPad-M-2-SSD-Tray/p/4XF0N82414?

Options

7707 Posts

01-13-2008

US

76826 Signins

2152823 Page Views

• Views: 2152823
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-10-03, 15:49 PM

wrote:

Do you happen to know what the part is for the main drive m.2 bay for the T470? Will this one work? https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/memory-and-storage/storage/HDD-BO-ThinkPad-M-2-SSD-Tray/p/4XF0N82414?

I hesitate to confirm or deny since I haven't laid hands or eyes on that part.  The interwebs call it out as being for both the T470 and T25, so that makes sense.

Chasing parts via SUPPORT above the individual parts - tray and cable - look to be 01AX994 and 00UR496.

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save