Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 7 (1,940 Views)

T470 power bridge wired battery discharging order, always internal battery first

[ Edited ]

Hoping this problem will be noticed by more people, the original post on this issue came from:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/T470-Linux-Power-Bridge-wrong-discharge-order/td-p/365...

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/63odjr/t470_battery_order_question_internal_discharges/

Brief description: same problem with OS including Win 10, Ubuntu 16.04, Gentoo etc. The internal battery always gets discharged first regardless its remaining power, which is generally harmless but seems not so good for the internal battery life.

With my own T470 machine, updated with the latest 1.29 BIOS, this problem remains. According to searching results online, this little bug came with early versions of X's and T' including T460.

PS: this issue had been successfully fixed with T460 via BIOS update 1.26, hoping it would be fixed with T470 sooner or later.

Best regards.

Lenovo Staff
Message 2 of 7 (1,829 Views)

Re: T470 power bridge wired battery discharging order, always internal battery first

I see the same behavior here.  We will check it.

Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 7 (1,732 Views)

Re: T470 power bridge wired battery discharging order, always internal battery first

Any news on this issue or ETA when it will eventually get fixed?

Lenovo Staff
Message 4 of 7 (1,648 Views)

Sorry for my slow reply as it took me some time to research this issue.  What I found out is that T470 is using a new algorithm which checks the wear level of each battery and first discharges the battery which is worn the least.  This makes sure that the two batteries wear out evenly and maximizes the lifespan of both batteries.  This behavior is different than T460 and earlier systems which always discharge the removable battery first.

Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 7 (1,643 Views)

Thanks for the reply. So will there be an option to override this algorithm or do we have to live with the current setting?

Lenovo Staff
Message 6 of 7 (1,636 Views)

There is no plan to provide an option to override the behavior (e.g. manually specify which battery gets discharged first).

Paper Tape
Message 7 of 7 (1,323 Views)

Can I return my laptop back to the shop then? That seriously affects my usage pattern and I can't use the device thins way.

Top kudoed Authors