Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fallington
Paper Tape
Views: 1,604
Message 1 of 14

T470 - should the touchpad "click"?

I've received a shiny new ThinkPad T470 today, a much needed upgrade from my T410.

Should the bottom left & right corners of the touchpad actually physically "click" when pressed, or is it purely a tap-sensitive device?

The touchpad seems to be lower by 1-2mm at the bottom end than at the top end, it doesn't sit flush at the bottom whereas it's level with the main chassis at the top.

pjc123
802.11n
Views: 1,591
Message 2 of 14

Re: T470 - should the touchpad "click"?

Should the bottom left & right corners of the touchpad actually physically "click" when pressed, or is it purely a tap-sensitive device?

Yes, or at least mine does, and it works.

The touchpad seems to be lower by 1-2mm at the bottom end than at the top end, it doesn't sit flush at the bottom whereas it's level with the main chassis at the top.

Mine is slightly below the main chassis on all 4 sides, and the same depth on all 4 sides.

Fallington
Paper Tape
Views: 1,586
Message 3 of 14

Thanks for the reply, it seems mine is faulty then :-(

I had the supplier fit 8GB extra RAM for me which they've done, but when I unboxed the laptop the keyboard was loose, presumably where they'd removed it to fit the RAM.  I had to push it back into place, then do up the screws on the underside of the chassis.

I suspect the supplier's engineer who fitted the RAM has knackered the touchpad in the process.

Very frustrating.

pjc123
802.11n
Views: 1,583
Message 4 of 14

I just replaced the 4GB of ram with 16GB yesterday on my T470.  There is no need to go anywhere near the keyboard or touchpad.  It is my first time putting ram into a Thinkpad and a very simple task.  Sounds like they really screwed things up.  I ordered directly from lenovo...who was the supplier?

Fallington
Paper Tape
Views: 1,574
Message 5 of 14

With my T410 you have to remove the keyboard in order to access the RAM, so I assumed that's why the keyboard was loose.  It could be that these screws were removed to access wherever the RAM is located now, and the keyboard came loose as a consequence.

I'm in the UK, the supplier is Laptops Direct.

pjc123
802.11n
Views: 1,571
Message 6 of 14

I just looked at the videos.  Removing the keyboard requires an additional step after removing screws from the bottom.  There are rubber stoppers in the battery compartment that prevent the keyboard from sliding, which would cause it to fall out.  Maybe yours are missing? As far as the touchpad, four additional screws need to be removed.

Fallington
Paper Tape
Views: 1,565
Message 7 of 14

Can you post a link to the video please?  I'd like to take a look.

With my old T410, you remove some screws from the underside of the chassis then slide the keyboard up (towards the screen/hinges) which then allows you to lift it out of the chassis.  This appeared to be what had happened when I removed the new T470 from the box as I could see the tabs on the underside of the keyboard that keep it in place.  I slid the keyboard down (towards the touchpad) then tightened the four screws on the underside of the chassis which were loose and it was ok.

When pressed, the bottom edge of the touchpad does seem to have some movement/flex to it, but there's no click, and it's sitting 1-2mm lower at the bottom end than at the top - see attached pic.

pjc123
802.11n
Views: 1,563
Message 8 of 14

Fallington
Paper Tape
Views: 1,561
Message 9 of 14

Cheers, will take a look.

I'm wondering if there are subtle differences to the one I have, being a UK model, to yours being a US model?

Mine's a 20HD-000EUK

Is the pic I attached to the previous post different to how your trackpad sits in the chassis out of interest then?

pjc123
802.11n
Views: 1,558
Message 10 of 14

If I look very closely, the left side is a little deeper in the front, and the right side is a little deeper in the back.  Manufacturing tolerances I guess.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors