Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chucktaylor
Punch Card
Views: 2,256
Message 1 of 6

T470 used ssd upgrade

Hello, 

I bought a lightly used T470 with 256gb PCIe SSD and just received a "new" 512gb Samsung PM961 PCIe SSD pulled from a new laptop. I've downloaded the recovery media to USB drive and was planning on just doing a fresh install of everything after upgrading the SSD.

This is my first time to replace SSD or hard drive so I'm sorry for these basic questions, but:

1) If I'm planning on selling the 256gb SSD that is coming out what should I do to wipe it or prepare it for someone else?

2) Is there anything I should do to the replacement 512gb SSD after installation to ensure it is clean either before or after re-installing windows?

3) Is there anything else I should be aware of or that I should think about since I'm doing this for the first time?

I also have a new internal battery (it did not originally have one) and a WWAN card that I'm going to install. Should I do these in stages (SSD and Windows install first, then internal battery, then WWAN card) to make sure all is working properly?

Thanks very much 

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,245
Message 2 of 6

Re: T470 used ssd upgrade

Are you talking about recovery media from Lenovo or microsoft?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
chucktaylor
Punch Card
Views: 2,217
Message 3 of 6

Recovery media from Lenovo

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,207
Message 4 of 6

That will clear your new disk, but you need to erase your personal information from your old disk before you sell it.  I use a USB adapter and wipe the SSD from another machine.

If it were mine, I would install the battery first and make sure it was working.  I would then remove the SSD and replace it at the same time I hooked up the WWAN.  If you have installed the battery first as I suggested, disable it in the BIOS before working on the machine.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

chucktaylor
Punch Card
Views: 2,200
Message 5 of 6

Ok thanks. I actually didn't have any personal info on the new SSD yet and had trouble finding an adapter for M.2 but just found one. I think I didn't recognized the right product when I searched for it before.

And I'm assuming the Lenovo recovery media will set up the laptop just like it would have come from the factory?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,193
Message 6 of 6

yes

Rich

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors