Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chucktaylor
Punch Card
Views: 9,959
Message 1 of 7

T470 wwan and sim card setup

Hello, I have installed the correct wwan card and hooked up the antennas for my T470 and was wondering if there was anything special I needed to do to install and set up the sim card so the wwan will function correctly.

Thanks very much

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,935
Message 2 of 7

Re: T470 wwan and sim card setup

Hello

What's the FRU # of wwan card (assume it's a em7455)?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

chucktaylor
Punch Card
Views: 9,934
Message 3 of 7

FRU 01AX746

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,925
Message 4 of 7

Great. This FRU is compatible with T470.

Make sure the Wireless WWAN port is enabled in the BIOS Setup (Security menu, I/O Port Access). Under win8/10 the wwan card should appear in the system, these OSs have built-in drivers for modem. In this case manufacturer drivers are needed to apply the recent modem firmware or change its virtual ports composition and settings via AT port. .

Is there em7455 device in Device Manager (Network adapters category)? Are there any errors, in Other Devices category including? For future assist, what's the OS running?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

chucktaylor
Punch Card
Views: 9,886
Message 5 of 7

Yes, the port is enabled, device manager shows em7455 and device is working properly. 

I'm running Windows 10. 

I installed a SIM card the other day (actually a nano sim with adapter and then realized I should not have used adapter, so will try to get micro sim today or tomorrow). I didn't see any options to activate LTE or recognition after inserting the card. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,883
Message 6 of 7

Once the proper, activated sim card is inserted (do it while the laptop is fully powered off using the Shift key), the option for cellular network should appear in win10 network settings. Usually, there isn't need to fill the connection profile (APN value, user login/psw etc) as it's stored in Windows database, based on the sim card data. So, you shouldn't get any troubles.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,881
Message 7 of 7

Just check out current firmware version in the modem, too old fw might have unexpected issues:
- open command prompt window (cmd)
- type in the following string
netsh mbn sh int
- "fw version" will show current value

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors