Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DIGON-Kurt
What's DOS?
Views: 2,841
Message 1 of 4

T470S Charging with Battery Bank

It shows as having 30W of Type-C power for charging USB-C laptops. I have connected it to my Laptop but don't see any indication of charging.  I do hear a tone but see nothing in my battery icon or notifications windows.

what I have tried:
  • Fully charged battery
  • Pressed the restart button on battery
  • Different USB-C to USB-C cable
  • Connected laptop with a USB-A to USB-C cable
  • Looked for updates to the laptop (only BIOS is new)

The Lenovo USB-C charger works fine.  A key purchase reason for this laptop was to be able to charge over USB-C.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,799
Message 2 of 4

Re: T470S Charging with Battery Bank

I have no experience with that charging bank, but it appears to be underpowered.  You need 20V 2.25-amps (45W).  The maximum output at 20V is 1.5 amps (30W).  

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
DIGON-Kurt
What's DOS?
Views: 2,785
Message 3 of 4

When connected to a lower power source, the system used to respond with "This will charge slowly".  Does that no longer happen and the computer now only accepts full power charge?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,764
Message 4 of 4

My most recent experience with underpowered adapters were with W530 and W540. What I remember is that the machine would charge slowly with a 90W adapter if it were turned off, but the charger was ignored if the machine was running.  Normally it used a 170W charger.  With USB-C charging, the computer or phone sends its power requirements and then the adapter sends it if it can.  If it cannot, it sends nothing.  I don't know of a way the charger could tell the laptop that it is underpowered.  The round or slim tip adapters communicated the wattage via the resistance between the signal pin and ground.  

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors