Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trimegon
Paper Tape
Views: 680
Message 1 of 8

T470p - EM7455 dead?

Hello,

I just unboxed a 470p and created a reference image in SCCM/MDT using the SCCM package from the download page. Everything worked fine until the point when I tried to use the built-in WWAN device.

It worked exactly once and I was able to dial in to the intertubez. Hanging up, recreating the reference image with a few changes and testing again never brought the device back to life. Over a timespan of a few hours it has gotten worse and worse and now it's not working anymore at all. It's not even visible in Windows' device manager anymore. (Hidden devices displayed). It's just gone. Running any linux and doing an "lspci" or "lsusb" doesn't show the device either.

I'm under the impression that the card just died and that's it. Over the last few hours I was able to make the device visible again by just resetting the BIOS to its defaults and boot. So it was accepting a PIN again, but couldn't find a network nor was it accepting any APN configuration at all.

Before we start speculating:

After the first time the device worked it never worked again. This is what I did:

- Flashed BIOS to latest version (1.14/1.02)

- I tested multiple SIM cards from different german providers, none worked.

- I removed the driver from the reference image that comes with the SCCM package and installed the driver manually

- I tested multiple versions: R0GWS10W (latest available), NZ1WN03W and N1HWL05W.

- I always reimaged with a clean image before testing a driver

I also noted that the ethernet card was dead at some point, too. The usual BIOS reset to defaults fixed it all again.

Right now I get the feeling the best I can do is to put it all into the box, declare it DOA and order a new one hoping that one will work.

Any ideas on how to get the card working again? The thing I don't get is why it isn't visible anymore. It's not showing up anywhere, not in Windows' device manager, Linux lsusb/lspci nor in the hardware diagnostics.

Any hints would be highly appreciated.

KR,

T.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 663
Message 2 of 8

Re: T470p - EM7455 dead?

Hello and welcome to the forum

Modem firmware might be too old, so causes different issues. Are you able to check it version?

Tomorrow (today) afternoon I'll perform the test with the same devices - T470p and em7455. I assume, the difference is I have previous revision of the wwan card (FRU 00JT542) while you might have the new one, FRU 01AX746 as it is in the compatibility list and preinstalled.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Trimegon
Paper Tape
Views: 637
Message 3 of 8

@x220forme wrote:
Hello and welcome to the forum

Modem firmware might be too old, so causes different issues. Are you able to check it version?

I cannot. The device is just not there anymore. No way to install a driver or check the version of the firmware.

Tomorrow (today) afternoon I'll perform the test with the same devices - T470p and em7455. I assume, the difference is I have previous revision of the wwan card (FRU 00JT542) while you might have the new one, FRU 01AX746 as it is in the compatibility list and preinstalled.

Is there a way to figure that one out?

Thanks for your help! KR, T.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 633
Message 4 of 8

Firstly, get the laptop with modem.
Open the command prompt window (cmd), execute the following string:
netsh mbn sh int

Copy and past the output here (remove Hardware ID value)

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Trimegon
Paper Tape
Views: 632
Message 5 of 8

"No mobile WWAN devices available".

Told you, the card is dead.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 626
Message 6 of 8

Not a fact. I face the same behavior, but the card is alive.

What's the card's FRU or marketing p/n? Is there hidden device in Device Manager, QDLoader com port in particular?

Trimegon
Paper Tape
Views: 615
Message 7 of 8

Hi,

no there's no hidden device in the device manager and the card is not showing up at all. Not with a driver installed nor without one. It's just not there. I don't even have the possibility to install a driver in the device manager.

I also don't think I'm able to get the FRU without opening the machine and I don't want that to not void warranty.

In the meantime I talked to Lenovo support and the box comes with next day on site service. So they declared it DOA and I will get a new one soon. Lenovo told me the reseller would send me a new one instantly but the reseller sees it differently (the usual crap), so let's wait how this all plays out.

I will keep you informed.

Thanks a lot!

KR,

T.

Trimegon
Paper Tape
Views: 562
Message 8 of 8

Hello,

so after a lot back and forth I'm still sitting here with the old laptop not getting a new one because no one is able to tell when it can be delivered and have to wait for a service technician. Bummer. So far I can say that the service Lenovo is showing here is far from anything even remotely acceptable. And instead of taking care of the matter they're just full of excuses and nothing happens.

Actually the notebook comes with 24h support and next day on site. That's what the contract says. But according to a Lenovo person (not the IBM people from the support hotline), someone from Lenovo, it's fine if the technician shows up two, three or even four days later and if the part, that is suspected to be broken, is not available then it's fine if the technician shows up two weeks later.

Ah and before I forget: I bought the notebook with the on site support and everything to have a reliable piece of hardware that - in case it breaks - is repaired as fast as possible. But, as I had to learn on the phone today, when you order notebooks with those service options, you always have to have a second device at hand to bridge Lenovo's support gap. Because it's like this in businesses nowadays.

One thing is for sure: Lenovo is not part of my bussiness nor the bussiness of my customers in the future. Sorry, but behaviour like this is absoloutly inacceptable.

It looks a lot like this is the exact problem that I am facing right now: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T470-WWAN-card/m-p/3750658/highlight/tru...

And it looks like the problem exists at least since 2011 and has NOT been fixed.

Whenever the device shows up and I install the driver manually, the device immediatly becomes unavailable and the system tells me that the device is not connected to the computer. Bummer.

Yes, I extracted the drivers from Sierra's fragged up installation tool so that I'm able to install the drivers manually with the help of the Windows hardware wizard. Not even Lenovo did this in the SCCM package they offer for the T470p.

IMHO it looks a lot like Sierra is not able to provide UMTS cards that can easily be installed nor are they able to provide drivers that just work OOTB. A lot of stuff that can go wrong is put in place and quess what? It all goes wrong.

I don't remember how many Thinkpads I sold over the years, but as my personal notebook this is the seventh that I have and it's definitely my last.

KR,

T.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors