Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Punch Card
Views: 2,029
Message 1 of 8

T470s fan makes grinding noise when it starts spinning

Hi,

the fan in my T470s started making grinding noises when it starts spinning. There are no noise while spinning constantly or spinning down. I made a video, the noise starts between second one and two. Please excuse the static noise, they come from the mic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhBZWOzSBDw

I am definitely calling the support hotline. I have a tech coming on wednesday anyway so I'm trying to fit this in the same appointment. 
I was just wondering if anyone has the same noise? As often as the fan starts with the i7 7600u, this drives me nuts.

Regards, Adriano

Calby
Punch Card
Views: 1,982
Message 2 of 8

Re: T470s fan makes grinding noise when it starts spinning

Well, I don't have it as much as you have but ofc I can hear when the fan starts.
But not as loud as yours.

Punch Card
Views: 1,954
Message 3 of 8

hearing the fan start is nothing that worries me but if you turn up the volume you can hear the "scratching". Never heard this sound with two T440s and another T470s. if they don't want to change the fan i will lube it up a bit when the tech has the mainboard out and see if this helps.

Calby
Punch Card
Views: 1,908
Message 4 of 8

I can hear it, well I don't have the scratching sound.

I have been opening the T470s and it's nothing outside the fan that can scratch against it.
So it's something inside the fan that causing that sound.

Edit:
The tech don't need to take out the mainboard (motherboard) when they replaceing the fan.
It's two ways they can do it, just replace the fan or replace the fan with the heat shink.

If they don't want to replace it you can do it by your self easy, just buy a fan from ebay.

Punch Card
Views: 1,865
Message 5 of 8

Tech was here just now (because of another issue). He said teh sound is definitely not normal and ordererd another fan. I hope the new fan doesn't make this sound.

Calby
Punch Card
Views: 1,860
Message 6 of 8

The sound your refering to is the sound in the end of your video right?

Punch Card
Views: 1,852
Message 7 of 8

No, the sound in the end is (live) totally normal. The sound I'm referring to is between second 1 and 2 when the fan kicks in. You have to have your volume up to make it sound like in real life.

VitMosin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 351
Message 8 of 8

Hello. Changing fan solved the problem?

Top Kudoed Authors