cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbracerguy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 398
Message 1 of 10

T470s issue with Thunderbolt not working & not appearing in Device Manager?

First time ditching my HP world for a Thinkpad.... I purchased a new old stock T470s still with Windows 7.  Was excited to try something new. I got everything updated using the Lenovo System Update Tool, except for Thunderbolt. I would get repeated "FwUpdateCmd" errors and after tracking those down I found out it was in reference to the thunderbolt update. I tried changes in the bios but kept getting the FwUpdateCmd errors. The Thunderbolt worked just fine on the original drivers and firmware as delivered, AND it showed up in Device Manager.
So I decided to check online for the latest thunderbolt drivers and I found there was both a firmware and software update. I checked the date and saw the firmware was dated Jan 19 while the software was Mar 19. So I updated the firmware first. It updates the firmware just fine. However the software won't update because now my thunderbolt is no longer active, meaning it doesn't show up in Device Manager!  It was *always* there before the firmware update. When trying to update the software it says no thunderbolt found. I checked into the readme of the firmware and found this:
"- You need to update Thunderbolt Software to version 16.3.71.17(Package Version 16.3.71.300) before firmware update."

If that version came out in March and the firmware came out in January.....  I'm pretty sure my laptop had software version 16.2.55.275 installed when I did the firmware update.  So what have I screwed up now? And how do I fix it? I've tried a bunch of things, disabled it entirely in bios, removed device, drivers, sofware, re-enabled it, but still not showing up in Device Manager. Running the firmware update tool wakes the thunderbolt device up and windows installs the driver automatically so it finally appears in Device Manager. But after the firmware updates it's no longer there.  I finally got the newer .300 software package installed now, but the device still doesn't show up in Device Manager. Not even showing hidden devices will it appear except when re-doing the firmware update. Plenty of reboots and now I'm out of ideas. Changes in bios don't seem to have any effect. I've reinstalled the firmware update and nothing. Any thoughts on how I can get it to show up in Device Manager and work always like it used to?
cbracerguy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 386
Message 2 of 10

Re: T470s issue with Thunderbolt appearing in Device Manager

I've spent 3 hours on this now with no solution. I've got the latest software installed, version 16.3.71.300 and it uninstalls and installs just fine.  I can open up the thunderbolt software program, and verified everything is on the latest.  I've tried changing the Thunderbolt service from manual to automatic and still nothing in Device Manager. I've reinstalled the firmware update after having the correct software version installed, but I still get nothing in Device Manager.  I've attached a picture to show what it's like after it turns on at the start of the firmware update, but before going through the update.  I've tried a USB-C to HDMI adapter and it's not working.

TB grayed out.jpgTB software.jpg

mtnjwr
Paper Tape
Views: 321
Message 3 of 10

I have been dealing with a very similar issue with my T480s. I cannot even get the firmware to show up. There is an update that Lenovo released a couple days ago that supposedly fixes some issues for the Thunderbolt firmware but I can't even get my Thunderbolt controller to show up in device manager. 

cbracerguy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 310
Message 4 of 10

Mine now shows up under the VIEW /  "show hidden devices" so that's only a slight improvement.  If you select show hidden devices do you see it under system devices?  There's a few threads here about it, and I've breezed thru them but going to read them in detail tonight. Some people got it back by upgrading bios, but mine is already upgraded and won't write over itself after trying.  Others reinstalled windows from scratch and it fixed it.  I also have the original hard drive I'm going to throw in tonight and see if this firmware update did in fact mess up windows.  Maybe fine an older bios and update to that then back to new. Or try newer intel drivers instead of using Lenovo's versions.  argh.... don't what I wanted to waste days on.... 

Let me know if you find a solution!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 299
Message 5 of 10

Try the emergency reset button. It often helps with misbehaving interfaces.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
mtnjwr
Paper Tape
Views: 282
Message 6 of 10

I have tried that a few times. Never fixed it for me. I went into the bios as well, disabled some settings, re-enabled some settings, nothing fixed. Mine did the same thing under hidden devices. Then I tried removing the device from the device manager by uninstalling that, don't do this, it seemed to make matters worse. I will suggest to maybe fix your issue, I saw on another forum that there is a bios setting, I can't remember what its called, but it doesn't work with new windows versions. If you go into your bios and open the Thunderbolt settings, there is an option that says you should disable it if your windows is past a certain version. 

cbracerguy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 271
Message 7 of 10

Nope.  Tried the reset button but no change.  I turned the computer off first, then hit the reset button.  Not sure what reset really does, but the user guide says to use it only if you can't turn your computer off and it has become unresponsive. So does using the button while the computer is off do anything?  I wouldn't like to hit the reset while windows is running just fine.....

mtnjwr
Paper Tape
Views: 265
Message 8 of 10

Im really frustrated with this. Ive hit that reset button as well. It did nothing. I reset my computer entirely. New M.2 SSD and everything that I just received today. Im thinking that it has to be a bios issue at this point. Clearly not a windows issue anymore since Ive completely reinstalled everything, so that doesnt help. I dont even see it in hidden devices anymore. Im going to try to roll back my bios version and see if that does anything. Ill keep updating my progress. I have had this laptop for over a year and never run into any issues so clearly whatever software/firmware update Lenovo released totally screwed up my system and many others. I was able to get the software at least installed again after a clean install but the firmware update still hits me with the "No active Thunderbolt controller found in the system" error. IMO if this was a windows error, a clean install and new SSD should have fixed it. Im going to try to contact lenovo during business hours monday and see if i cant get this resolved.

cbracerguy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 259
Message 9 of 10

Okay, so I think it's actually working just fine.... after plugging in a USB 3.1 drive, the USB 3.1 device appears in DM which was only shown under hidden devices.  Before the new firmware update, the USB 3.1 was shown in DM like TB3 was.  So the TB3 port charges, works fine with USB 3.1 devices, and this lead me to believe that the *new* firmware automatically turns on the TB3 until a device is plugged in.  Note this wasn't mentioned in the readme. The only change listed was a detect bug was fixed.  I opened a command prompt in the folder

C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\SystemUpdate\sessionSE\Repository\n1wtj02w

*your folder will vary, this is for a T470s - if you find your TB firmware update name (mine is n1wtj02w) then that's the folder in the system update that you will fine a detect program.

and ran detect2019 and the TB3 woke up and appears correctly in DM, as it did before the latest firmware. So essentially the latest firmware makes it go to sleep until something is plugged in.  My next step is to take my laptop into windows store and see if I can borrow a real TB3 device to see if it works......

mtnjwr
Paper Tape
Views: 239
Message 10 of 10

Yeah it sounds like you had a different issue than I am. I'm not even able to install the thunderbolt software or firmware. It doesn't even appear under hidden devices in the device manager. I can't even get a clean install to fix it. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors