Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nostalgiac
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,288
Message 1 of 4

T470s poor battery life

So I've had this T470s for over a year, I have since seen quite a few reports about poor battery life on this model and about great battery life on T470. My 2 batteries are still holding 80% and 84% of their original capacity, but I am getting around 4 hours of browsing and light editing on 90%-full brightness and low performance mode. (i5-7200U, 25W TDP)

My question is whether I could increase battery life on this specific model (I'm not asking the casual stuff like disabling background services etc., is there anything laptop-specific I could do)? Any particular reason why it's so bad?

It's thin and light but getting 3-4 hours out of a borderline-new laptop from 2017 is kinda dog**bleep**. T470 weights 200 grams more and has reportedly the best battery life of all Thinkpads to date. 

Highlighted
JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 4,269
Message 2 of 4

Re: T470s poor battery life

From what I've seen a 15% - 20% reduction in capacity is more or less typical.

If running windows 10 I'd suggest you run the: Settings --> Battery --> "See what apps are affecting my battery life"

function - perhaps some background apps got installed that are consuming power.

Then there are the generic recommendations:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20443/windows-10-battery-saving-tips

That's all I've got..............

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
Nostalgiac
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,246
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for a quick reply. The reduction in capacity is normal, but the original run time with full battery is what bugs me. 

The settings feature was useful, apparently the biggest criminal is Google Chrome browser, using up to 70% in the last week (not sure how this compares to the time of usage for Mozilla and Chrome respectively) Unfortunately, because of some extensions I use for my work, I can't switch to a different browser (I still use mozilla for studies and work-unrelated activities). Maybe something Chrome-specific that could be optimized? 

I will also take one of those general tips and try to transfer all browsing activities that are not Chrome-specific to Microsoft Edge and see how this works out in a weeks time or so.

Regards.

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 4,209
Message 4 of 4

70% seems like  a lot ... but I don't know how you use your machine.

This may help you isolate the issue at least!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors