cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrwaldorf
Paper Tape
Views: 1,321
Message 1 of 6

T470s with docking station and two external monitors (HDMI and DVI)

When I connect only one monitor through the HDMI port on the port replicator, it works fine.

When I then add the 2nd monitor to the DVI port on the port replicator, the DVI connected monitor displays, the HDMI connected monitor shuts off - and...I can no longer even see the HDMI connected monitor in the display settings options.

How do I make the HDMI & DVI connected monitors to work at the same time?

Thx, Jim

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 1,286
Message 2 of 6

Re: T470s with docking station and two external monitors (HDMI and DVI)

Jim,

it would be very helpful to know what docking station you are using. Please provide the product number of your dock/port replicator, which is somewhere located on the product. Do not post the serial number. Maybe the dock is also included on this page

In case you have a Thinkpad Pro Dock, then the answer is that you can't use both digital connections at the same time, because both ports are exclusive. Either you use the DVI  or the DP (Display Port  not HDMI) port, but not both. 

jrwaldorf
Paper Tape
Views: 1,282
Message 3 of 6

Thx much for the guidance.

Yep, I have the Pro Docking station, so no dual digital for me. Looks like I'll be converting one to VGA.

Thx again, Jim 

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 1,277
Message 4 of 6

you could also use an USB3 to DP/DVI adapter, if you want to avoid using VGA. The adapter would be listed as an additional display adapter.

Calvin70
Fanfold Paper
Views: 576
Message 5 of 6

I have the same problem trying to use (2) Samsung CF397's with the Pro Dock. I have tried using the VGA>DP converter/adaptor (because the Samsungs only have DP and HDMI. Only 1 monitor will work. Very frustrating as I purchased the monitor from an individual and not a store.

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 498
Message 6 of 6

@Calvin70 wrote:

I have tried using the VGA>DP converter/adaptor

AFAIK there are no VGA (analog) -> DP (digital) adapters! So I guess you bought an DP to VGA adapter.

You need an USB3 to DP display adapter to connect 2nd monitor  to the Pro Dock or upgrade to the Ultra Dock.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors