Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ghomri
Paper Tape
Views: 207
Message 1 of 5

T480 - CPU clocks down to 500MHz when Photoshop is open

Hi, i have encountered a problem with my Thinkpad T480 laptop (i7-8550U, 2x8GB 2400MHz, GeForce MX150 2GB) i use at work. I'm a front-end designer and use Photoshop a lot. But i have noticed over several months, that when Photoshop is open my whole machine slows down and starts to lag. Photoshop is really laggy, and it takes several seconds from a press on the mouse, to see something happening on the screen. And it's not only in Photoshop, but Chrome almost doesn't work and almost crashes, writting text in a editor on the keyboard takes several seconds to appear on screen, and even opening the Task manager is a nightmare. 

The fun things it looks like the CPU, RAM, Disk and GPU usage, they arent doing much. The CPU usage sits only between 10-25%. The laptop is always connected to power and fully charged. Set to bedst performance in power management. 

But today i noticed that the CPU speed on only running around 500-800MHz, and sometimes jumps up to 1GHz while Photoshop is open. If i close Photoshop the clock speed jumps back to its normal 3.6GHz. I have tried to check the thermals, to see if the clocks drops because of throtteling. But the temperatur is only around 50c, with a lot of headroom to 100TJ max.

I have attached a screenshot from desktop.

Thanks for feedback and help.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 143
Message 2 of 5

Re: T480 - CPU clocks down to 500MHz when Photoshop is open

Hi Ghomri! Welcome to our forums community. When you said you set to high performance, are you referring to setting it to high performance? The CPU frequency is controlled by BIOS so try updating it from our website or you may run the update through the Think Vantage app. Install all available updates. Restart then check if the issue still persist. If yes, try running the Photoshop app in Safemode and observe. The steps are available here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht116905. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Ghomri
Paper Tape
Views: 127
Message 3 of 5

Wow thanks. That actually seems to have solved the problem. The CPU keeps above 2GHz for the most part now, with only a few dips just below 2GHz. Way way better than 500MHz! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the help!

Ghomri
Paper Tape
Views: 125
Message 4 of 5

Wow thanks. That actually seems to have solved the problem. The CPU keeps above 2GHz for the most part now, with only a few dips just below 2GHz. Way way better than 500MHz! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the help!
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 113
Message 5 of 5

Hi Ghomri! Glad to hear that the issues have been resolved. Should you have any more questions or concerns you can post anytime. Thanks.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors