Options

4 Posts

04-03-2018

CA

4 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 1 of 3

T480 - Connect to an external display using the USB-C Connectors - Error USB not recognized

2019-05-06, 18:58 PM

I'm trying to connect my T480 to an external display using the left side USB-C ports. When I plug in the external monitor using a (USB-C to DVI cable), Windows 10 displays an error message like: "USB not recognized. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it". According to T480 user guide those ports should work with an external monitor, so is this a hardware issue? All drivers are up to date.

Options

223 Posts

08-02-2018

PH

142 Signins

1681 Page Views

• Views: 1681
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: T480 - Connect to an external display using the USB-C Connectors - Error USB not recognized

2019-05-09, 9:56 AM

Hi SysadminSC,

Does it also happen when you connect a different device on the USB-C port? Have you tried a different USB-C cable? Here are some things that we can try:

1. Disconnect and then reconnect the affected USB device several times. Ensure that it is properly and securely connected.

2. Perform a power drain:
a. Remove the affected USB device from your computer.
b. Turn your laptop off.
c. Unplug the power supply cord from your laptop.
d. Wait for approximately 2 minutes – this is enough time for any and all residual charge present on the computer and its hardware to dissipate.
e. Plug the power supply cord back in to the laptop.
f. Turn on your laptop.
g. When the computer boots up, reconnect the affected USB device and check to see whether or not the problem has been resolved.

3. Disable USB selective suspend
a. Open the Start Menu.
b. Search for “power options“.
c. Click on the search result titled Power Options.
d. Click on Change plan settings next to the power plan that is currently active on your computer.
e. Click on Change advanced power settings.
f. Double-click on the USB settings section to expand it.
g. Click on the USB selective suspend sub-section to expand it.
h. Change the setting to Disabled in however many instances of the setting there are under the USB select suspend sub-section
i. Click on Apply and then on OK.
j. Click on Save changes.
k. Restart your computer and check to see whether or not the problem still persists when it boots up.

4. Disable and then re-enable the Generic USB Hub device
a. Press the Windows Logo key + R to open a Run dialog.
b. Type devmgmt.msc into the Run dialog and press Enter to open the Device Manager.
c. In the Device Manager, double-click on the Universal Serial Bus controllers section to expand it.
d. Locate and right-click on the Generic USB Hub device.
e. Click on Disable. You should be free of the “The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned” error message as soon as this device is disabled.
f. Right-click on the Generic USB Hub device once again and click on Enable.

Let us know how things go.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

4 Posts

04-03-2018

CA

4 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: T480 - Connect to an external display using the USB-C Connectors - Error USB not recognized

2019-05-17, 20:21 PM

No, it doesn't happen when you connect a different device on the USB-C port. For instance I can connect a USB-C hub dongle which has (HDMI port, USB 2 ports, etc) and everything works. If I connect the monitor to HDMI port from the dongle, the monitor works as well. I have also tried a different USB-C cable, connecting it directly to the USB-C port, and it does not work at all.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save