Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jsm77
Paper Tape
Views: 4,267
Message 1 of 48

T480 DCH Thunderbolt driver & TB3 Dock Firmware upgrade

I am using a T480 with the TB3 dock and 2 external monitors.

My problem is my screens go black for a couple of seconds every x amount of time.

I've updatad all drivers found under the Display and Video graphics section Drivers T480

I remember when updating to 

• Intel Thunderbolt Software for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad T480, T480s, X1 Carbon Gen 6 - 1.41.565.0

I received the following screen:

TB_SW.png

(I did get 2 Thunderbolt SW apps in my start menu and uninstalled the one which was visible via add/remove programs)

These updates did not resolve my monitor issue.

I later on noticed there is a new TB3 Dock FW

When I wanted to make the update I got the message the TB SW had to be above 17.4.77.400. (the version insalled and active was 1.41.565.0)

I reinstalled TB SW 17.4.78.500 and performed the TB3 dock FW upgrade.

Now I am in the situation I do not have a Thunderbolt SW application to allow/select TB devices to connect.

V1.41.565.0 seems to be a new DCH driver. reverting back to the legacy driver 17.4.78.500 is not somethig I should have done.

It seems the DCH driver came with it's own Thunderbolt SW application, which is no longer available.

Is there a procedure to completly reinstall the DCH driver including the Thunderbold SW or revert back to the legacy driver with Thunderbold SW (which now states the application is not in use anymore)

Thanks!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,235
Message 2 of 48

Re: T480 DCH Thunderbolt driver & TB3 Dock Firmware upgrade

You can manually download the new Thunderbolt Control Center from the Microsoft Store.

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Jsm77
Paper Tape
Views: 4,226
Message 3 of 48

Thanks for this! this solves part of the problem.

I do have the "Control Center" back, unfortunatly there seems to be an issue with the drivers.

I do not seem to have a controller driver. 

TB_Control.PNG

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,217
Message 4 of 48

Oh dear! Go to Device Manager, and uninstall the Thunderbolt controller device driver (keep the software), then restart. Give it a minute to reinstall the device, then try the Thunderbolt Control Center again.

Let us know how it goes!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,196
Message 5 of 48

Part of the problem I see is that Windows Update is trying to push the old/obselete software.  Try this:

1.  Download https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n22ta10w.exe, run it, and uncheck the box at the end about "install now"

2.  disconnect from Internet  <-- KEY STEP to prevent interference from Windows Update

3.  Uninstall "Thunderbolt Software" from Control Panel -> Programs.  This will also uninstall the Thunderbolt Controller driver

4.  Open Device Manager, you should see Other Devices -> Base System Device.  Right-click on Base System Device -> Update Driver.  Click on "Browse my computer" and point to C:\Drivers\Win\Thunderbolt  (this should have been created by step #1).  This should install Thunderbolt Controller driver version 1.41.565.

5.  Reconnect to internet

We clearly screwed up this release by not considering the upgrade scenario, I am working now with the Thunderbolt team to try to get this fixed.  Sorry for this trouble!

Jsm77
Paper Tape
Views: 4,159
Message 6 of 48

I tried both solutions in the order they were presented to me.

bananaman: again one step closer to the final solution!

After the restart I get the following info in the contro center.

TB_Control_2.PNG

From this perspective, everything sems OK.

When following the procedure proposed by someotherguy , i do see some issues which raise some concerns.

When performin the driver update for the Base System Device I get the message "windows was unable to install your base system device"

the content of the thunderbolt folder:

TB_1.41.565.0.png

Also when running the driver update by double click dpinst.exe it does not do an update.

After the "update" i get:

TB_1.41.565.0_result.png

is this an area of concern?

I do not seem to be able to update to driver v1.41.565 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,149
Message 7 of 48

I don't know why the installer fails to update the driver at this point. You can update it manually by going to Device Manager>System Devices>Thunderbolt Controller>Driver tab>Update Driver and choosing Update Driver>Browse my computer. Browse to the Thunderbolt folder (you showed a screen shot of it above, by default C:\DRIVERS\WIN\Thunderbolt), Next... let it install.

Let us know if that updates the Thunderbolt device to 1.41.565.0.

I do not know why or how you got to 1.41.484.0 - perhaps that came through Microsoft update. I should note that my experience here is with an X1 Carbon 6th, not a T480, but this same 1.41.565.0 Lenovo update does apply to T480, T480s, and X1 Carbon 6th.

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,138
Message 8 of 48

I talked to Thunderbolt driver team and found out that the DCH driver (1.x) was released by mistake.  While some new factory preloads will get the DCH driver, existing systems that already have legacy driver (17.x) are not supposed to get it at this time.  This is why dpinst.exe doesn't update it, it's not on System Update, etc.  The support website is supposed to have 17.x and NOT 1.x (this is the mistake).

You can keep using the DCH (1.x) driver if you want, but my point is that it wasn't supposed to be released and that is the root cause of the upgrade pain.  Sorry for this trouble.

Jsm77
Paper Tape
Views: 4,128
Message 9 of 48

Thanks for that info.

In order to keep the drivers up to date in the future, would you suggest to revert to the legacy drivers (17.x) or will future drivers follow the DCH drivers (1.x)

If the best and future proof solution is to revert to 17.x, is there a special procedure?

Just to avoid running into the issue I as well mentioned in the initial post.

TB_SW.png 

sl-2017abc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,837
Message 10 of 48

So what's the workaround to the dreaded "application cannot run" message every time you boot up the T480?  I tried every configuration of every SW package (the last 3-4) and the last firmware flashes (last 3-4) and still... either the software doesn't install properly and rolls back, or else it does and I get this message.

I just received my T480 yesterday and spent 12 hours with this issue.  Am thinking about returning it as cannot believe so simple a problem that Lenovo overlooked would ruin the user experience like this.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors