Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sl-2017abc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,694
Message 11 of 61

Re: T480 DCH Thunderbolt driver & TB3 Dock Firmware upgrade

After 14+ hours of troubleshooting involving 16 different configurations of firmware and software, some from dating back to 2017, the only workaround I can see for us poor T480 users (and corporate clients) who broadly assigned this unit to our workforce is to reinstall the System Interface, uninstall Thunderbolt from device manager, reinstall n22ta10w.exe (drivers without software), reflash the firmware, and then you have a working Thunderbolt device but without any software.  Oh, and we can't (a few dozen of us here at our offices) can't download Thunderbolt Control Center from Windows Store... common problem.  So we have a working Thunderbolt port, but we simply cannot control access or control it.

Thanks, Lenovo!

sl-2017abc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,647
Message 12 of 61

A workaround I thought I reached earlier did not hold.

Today, I made the decision to return the fleet of T480's we purchased for our workforce and for my own corporate use because all suffered from this Thunderbolt issue and that rendered peripheral use so difficult as to make us cry for Dell.  After 26 hours of technical support hotline usage (with Lenovo staff telling us to "factory restore"), 3 factory restores using USB recovery drives, and 82 logged manhours of troubleshooting, we realized this wasn't worth it.

We're going to create an online documentary highlighting the aburdity of this, since the unit I was heading is part of an entertainment production group and some of my staff began recording all the responses we got from Lenovo by e-mail and phone.  It'll take us a few weeks to put it on YouTube.  There's nothing in our customer agreement that says we couldn't record everything Lenovo reps told us on the phone.  Smiley Happy

Anyway, Lenovo, you're bleeding customers because of silly issues like this.  Reddit and even these forums are filled with innumerable posters explaining their horror stories about shoddy quality control, unforeseen update problems, flash failures, and terrible longitudinal support.  

MattTinNC
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,587
Message 13 of 61

Hopefully someone at Lenovo is monitoring things, as they replied to this thread earlier. Is there a resolution in the works for this issue with the drivers? I am gettting the error message after I login to Windows and it's annoying since everything was working properly before. I do realize things take time, but this should be easily reproduceable and debuggable at that point. 

I've had one colleague trade in their new T480 to the IT department for one that had not had the update done, but I'd rather have a fix for this. That seems to be the sentiment for most of us here as well.

Are there any updates available as to the status of this issue or steps that we can do to get things back in working order? It would appear that some folks here have spent a lot of hours trying to fix this to no avail.

What is the official stance / cleanup of this issue and mitigation steps for future issues like this cropping up? 

Thanks!

Matt

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,561
Message 14 of 61

Sorry for this ongoing problem.  I need to ask our Intel Thunderbolt rep about how to get back to a working installation of the 17.x software that doesn't cause the error message at every boot.  Reinstalling OS is one way to do it, but I think there has to be a better way.

MattTinNC
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,552
Message 15 of 61

I would definitely think that there is a better way. Asking a customer to do a clean install is not a trivial matter in most cases. That's not something I can do with mine, since this is a corporate issued laptop. A set of instructions detailing a way back to things working properly would be good.

Also, do we know that the Thunderbolt firmware update plays nice with the 17.x software? If it does, a utility to remove all traces (sort of a deep scrub of the registry as well if needed) of the 1.x Thunderbolt drivers that we shouldn't have installed would hopefully solve the issues. I would think some compatibility testing was done between the firmware update and the Thunderbolt software that was installed to verify they play nice together.

At any rate, please keep us apprised as time allows as to a solution to this problem that many of us are dealing with.

Thanks for the update!

sl-2017abc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,550
Message 16 of 61

Just trade out.  We've already filed a return for our batch of T480s because all the technical support and three days of IT devotion did not solve this problem, not to mention 14 (fourteen!) unanswered e-mails to various techs who promised to "prioritize" the issue and never got back to us. The last recorded answers we got were so maddening that it's going into our actual video documentary of aburdity we're still editing to highlight how silly this is.  It's one thing to break workforce computers with an update, it's another thing to ignore consistent pleas for help and to expect that Microsoft is going to bail you out with TBCC in the Store being pushed through enterprise.  

And by "break," I mean it -- connectivity to TB3 docks, peripherals, and graphics became inconsistent for some, impossible for others.  Apparently, because not every Thinkpad user is experiencing the issue, it's not important enough to engage. Even though:

1) Installed firmware update was the one issued by Lenovo itself, which buried the convenient "cannot be flashed back to earlier version" in the README file;

2) New DCH driver rolled out US-wide on Thinkpad T480 support site, which is then picked up by IT staffs, despite clear compatibility issues;

3) Apparently no testing of different firmware versions and software versions and driver versions by Lenovo, as evidenced by earlier responses this thread; so the message to corporate fleet users is: "Sorry, plus we know your IT can't fix it -- but hey, thanks for having a Thinkpad!"

MattTinNC, PM me and I'll share with you the discussions I had with Lenovo tech and corporate about this, including the raw recordings and communications.  It'll convince you to do the same thing we did.  

sl-2017abc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,507
Message 17 of 61

LOL: but since we flashed our firmware with new FW that can't be undone or flashed back to an earlier setting, we're kinda screwed, aren't we?

It was easy for us to simply call corporate and send back out Thinkpads as faulty devices, but what about other customers?  Are you seriously telling corporate customers and retail end-users that the only solutions are:

1) Live with chronic error messages;

2) Send back your devices to Depot so we can replace the motherbords; 

3) Reinstall OS or do Lenovo digital recovery and PRAY it doesn't break anything further

?

henriksoderlund
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,489
Message 18 of 61

Thunderbolt software "cannot run and can be uninstalled"

I just finished setting up three received T480 laptops. Two of the three identical specced laptops have problems with the Thunderbolt software. The firmware update did not complete and the Thunderbolt software shows an error message each time it attempts to run saying: "this application can not be run and can be uninstalled". I have confirmed in windows device manager that the Thunderbolt controller indeed is installed properly, I even managed to get into the computers Administrator account to successfully update the Thunderbolt firmware with the Lenovo installer. No problems. Even when installing the Thunderbolt software and reinstalling it and restarting, it does not want to start, always showing the error message. I have tried reinstalling the controller through device manager too without success. 

The third laptop did not have any problems, the software runs next to the clock as a background app and connects properly to the controller. 

Thanks for assistance in advance!

Henrik

sl-2017abc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,447
Message 19 of 61

Re: Thunderbolt software "cannot run and can be uninstalled"

Honestly, you should just do a factory reset using a Lenovo digital recovery disk and pray it works out.

Or, return it.  Unless Lenovo can get honest and explain to us, their corporate clients, why simple software/firmware updates seem to break their flagship computers, it's not incumbent upon us to remain loyal.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,404
Message 20 of 61

Re: Thunderbolt software "cannot run and can be uninstalled"

@henriksoderlund wrote:

I just finished setting up three received T480 laptops. Two of the three identical specced laptops have problems with the Thunderbolt software. The firmware update did not complete and the Thunderbolt software shows an error message each time it attempts to run saying: "this application can not be run and can be uninstalled". I have confirmed in windows device manager that the Thunderbolt controller indeed is installed properly, I even managed to get into the computers Administrator account to successfully update the Thunderbolt firmware with the Lenovo installer. No problems. Even when installing the Thunderbolt software and reinstalling it and restarting, it does not want to start, always showing the error message. I have tried reinstalling the controller through device manager too without success. 

On the problem laptops, what is the driver version of the Thunderbolt Controller in Device Manager -> System Devices?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors