Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
henriksoderlund
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,750
Message 21 of 61

Re: Thunderbolt software "cannot run and can be uninstalled"

Thanks for your interest in the question! I have tried using both the Lenovo provided latest version v17.something as well as forcing uninstall to get windows to install its own drivers v1.something. Neither helps with the issues. 

---EDIT--- The exact driver version on the two laptops are: 1.41.565.0

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 7,694
Message 22 of 61

The initial information that I got from Intel is that once the 1.x thunderbolt driver is installed, there is no way to go back to the 17.x thunderbolt driver (and avoid the "application cannot run" error) except by reinstalling Windows 10.  This is not a good answer so I have asked them to investigate more to figure something out.

wzy0
Paper Tape
Views: 7,691
Message 23 of 61

T480s, thunderbolt FW can not be updated, pls help

I recently purchased a T480s laptop.  And when I try to update thunderbolt FW downloaded from offcial website, I got :  

Error: 0x208 SDK_SERVICE_NOT_FOUND Thunderbolt(TM) service doesn't exist

I guess it is due to the thunderbolt software not installed .  

So I checked the  directory  :    C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel   , and yes , there's no thunderbolt software .  

But I have installed it ,   not understand why it's not successful.  

PS, I can see the Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 15BF in my 'System Device' 

My OS is win10 1809 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 7,683
Message 24 of 61

I've been running the 1.41.565.0 Thunderbolt driver which was released by mistake, without the error message, on two X1C6's for a month. It's been stable. I do remember having to hack on the install, but I don't remember exactly what I had to do. Here's what I do remember (no guarantees): It seemed that the 17.x uninstall/1.x install process did not clean up 17.x properly (hence the error message), so I re-installed 17.x, manually, then killed the Thunderbolt Service and Software processes (Task Manager>End Task) and ran the 17.x uninstall (Apps & Features>Uninstall), then made sure there were no remnants of the Thunderbolt Software around (delete Program Files (x86)/Thunderbolt Software), then re-ran the 1.x install. It was a bit confusing until I realized that the new 1.x Thunderbolt Control Center is a Windows Store App which gets pulled down by the installer (it replaces the 17.x Thunderbolt Software which is an installed program).

Hope this helps!

P.S. I should repeat what was stated earlier in this thread: If you do have the 1.x Thunderbolt driver, you can't upgrade the Thunderbolt firmware for now (because the firmware installer expects 17.x). I'm sure this will be fixed. Wear a helmet at all times.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 7,674
Message 25 of 61

Re: T480s, thunderbolt FW can not be updated, pls help

Hi wzy0, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

What is the Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 15BF driver version in Device Manager?

wzy0
Paper Tape
Views: 7,649
Message 26 of 61

Hi bananaman,   thanks for your reply. 

The driver version shows :  1.41.565.0   in the property window. 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 7,643
Message 27 of 61

Hi wzy0, Welcome to this thread. For the moment, with that 1.41.565.0 Thunderbolt driver, it appears that you cannot upgrade the Thunderbolt firmware because the upgrader expects a 17.x driver. There are two ways you could have ended up with that 1.x driver, either you downloaded it during the short period it was posted on the support site by mistake, or your recently purchased T480s shipped with it.

wzy0
Paper Tape
Views: 7,613
Message 28 of 61

Hi bananaman, thanks for your help. So now I know where the issue is , and I will try to re-install win10 , and install 17.x thunderbolt driver instead of 1.x driver. 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 7,574
Message 29 of 61

Here are the steps I was able to do to fix the thunderbolt problem, without re-installing Windows 10.  Depending on what you already tried to fix this problem, these steps may or may not work for you.  If they don't, let me know and I'll keep working with you to fix the problem on your PC.

1.  Uninstall Thunderbolt Controller from Device Manager -> System Devices.  Check the box about Delete the driver software for this device.

2.  From admin command prompt, run this command:  “sc delete nhi”  (refer to screenshot)

sc_delete_nhi.png

3.  Uninstall Thunderbolt Software from Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features

4.  Install n22ta0aw.exe

5.  Reboot

krajicekjames
Paper Tape
Views: 7,484
Message 30 of 61

Can someone explain what is going on here? Just last week I got a new T480, ran the update program built into Lenovo Vantage, and ended up this terrible rabbit hole. I don't know if it matters but I did try a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 and it didn't do much. Eventually I stumbled on this thread and while someotherguy's instructions did seemingly stop the "0x208 SDK_Servive_Not_Found Thunderbolt service does not exist" message to be honest I'm a little concerned about whether my thunderbolt port will be functional when I finally get a thunderbolt compatible device. I've attached a screenshot of what the thunderbolt utility says about my driver version. If someone can tell me if I've corrected the issue I'd appreciate it .I'm kinda disappointed in Lenovo I expected better especially since it seems that this issue has been affecting people for over a month now. I mean I already have a case id to return it. I might cancel it...but might not. I really don't know.Capture.PNG

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors