Did you mean: 
pf71
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,092
Message 41 of 61

Re: T480s, thunderbolt FW can not be updated, pls help

@mreck wrote:

So now I have TB Controller - 15BF version 17.4.78.21

Lenovo System Update wants me to update TB Firmware Utility to version: 17.0.0.1-N22TF14W

So should I update or it this update will give problems?

I would say no based on my current situation. See message 40.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,091
Message 42 of 61

@pf71 wrote:

Hi,

I have used your solution to reinstall Thunderbolt software on my T480 and am now in the following state:

I installed the latest Thunderbolt firmware from the Lenovo support page that is linked to my serial number and now I'm still seeing the following error:

Snap2.jpg

Here are the details from the firmware I just installed:

• Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad T480
  • 17.0.0.1-N24TF14W
  • 12 Mar 2019

Any ideas?

I have not heard this problem before.  Can you please download and unzip this?  https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApXWjQB7_a1bhf1Vs90DpsTNQHVyAQ

Then, from admin command prompt, run "detect1810r.exe" and send me the screenshot.  It should look something like this:

Untitled.png

pf71
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,054
Message 43 of 61

Many thanks for responding @someotherguy,

Here is the output you requested:

Snap2.jpg

Seeing this reminds me that there was a message when I performed the firmware update. It was an informational message saying something about the controller being in safe mode. It seemed like it was a normal part of the installation so I ignored it.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,034
Message 44 of 61

Something is definitely wrong with your thunderbolt firmware.  I need to check with someone else about how to fix it.  Meanwhile, have you tried running the firmware updater again?  

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

pf71
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,020
Message 45 of 61

@someotherguy wrote:

Something is definitely wrong with your thunderbolt firmware.  I need to check with someone else about how to fix it.  Meanwhile, have you tried running the firmware updater again?  

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

I have tried running the firmware updater a few times with my current driver config. Here's what I see consistently.

The updater starts and displays the following terminal window:

Snap1.jpg

Then I see two warning dialogs making sure that I have power and don't interrupt the firmware updater. I OK those and the following window appears:

Snap2.jpg

I click Next and then get the following:

Snap3.jpg

Then, the updater displays the following progress window:

Snap4.jpg

Over the course of the next 2-3 minutes, the progress bar works its way to 99%. Then, the window disappears and everything appears as if it completed successfully. However, running your firmware version check reveals otherwise:

Snap7.jpg

pf71
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,968
Message 46 of 61

I believe I solved my issue.

Firstly, I reinstalled the Thunderbolt software using the following procedure:

1. Download Thunderbolt software package and firmware update from Lenovo

2.  TURN OFF INTERNET (disable WiFi and unplug Ethernet)! This bocks Windows from automatically installing device drivers for the Thunderbolt controller.

3. Uninstall Thunderbold software

4. In the Device Manager, uninstall Thunderbolt Controller (under System devices). Choose the option to delete drivers

5. Start an administrator command prompt and delete the nhi service (sc delete nhi)

6. Find all Thunderbolt drivers that stored in Windows, in particular those under windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository (look for *tbt*), and delete all files/folders related to the Thunderbolt drivers. Carefully check that you are removing Thunderbolt driver files and not something else. Folders under windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository have SYSTEM ownership, so you will need to change permissions before removing these.

7. After you fully clean all old and new drivers, reboot. After reboot, the Thunderbolt controller must be seen as an unknown device in the Device Manager.

8. Install the latest thunderbolt software.

9. Reconnect/reenable your Internet connection.

After all of that, I had a clean set of Thunderbolt drivers and software.

To get the Thunderbolt controller firmware to update, I needed to:

1. Reboot and enter the BIOS settings.

2. Enable Thunderbolt BIOS assist mode

3. Reboot

4. Run the Thunderbolt firmware updater. The end of the update should trigger a reboot.

5. Enter the BIOS settings.

6. Disable Thunderbolt BIOS assist mode (as recommended for Windows 10 versions after 1709)

7. Reboot

I hope this helps others who end up in a similar situation.

jmchin
Paper Tape
Views: 1,423
Message 47 of 61

I removed the existing drivers and reinstalled as per someotherguy's post. Thanks for the solution! My thunderbolt port seems to work now.

However, the device manager states the following for the Thunderbolt Controller:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

How do I fix this issue?

Also, should I now install the Thunderbolt Software or I don't need to install it?

Cimeiro
What's DOS?
Views: 1,377
Message 48 of 61

Hello, can you share the fw update version that you used. 
I've the exact same popup showing to me when windows starts.

Milana5516
What's DOS?
Views: 938
Message 49 of 61

i am getting following error 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 901
Message 50 of 61

@Milana5516 wrote:

i am getting following error 

Please reboot and press F1 to enter BIOS setup.  Then check the setting for Config -> Thunerbolt -> Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode.  It needs to be disabled.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors