Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teaelvee
Punch Card
Views: 840
Message 51 of 61

Re: T480s, thunderbolt FW can not be updated, pls help

Hi there, someotherguy - my Thunderbolt port is not even recognized under System Devices, nor do I have the option for Thunderbolt Assist in the BIOS settings.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers but am coming up empty.  Your steps on page 3 didn't help me any, unfortunately.  I'm using a model T570 - do you have any other tips to try, besides a reinstall of Windows?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 785
Message 52 of 61

@teaelvee wrote:

Hi there, someotherguy - my Thunderbolt port is not even recognized under System Devices, nor do I have the option for Thunderbolt Assist in the BIOS settings.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers but am coming up empty.  Your steps on page 3 didn't help me any, unfortunately.  I'm using a model T570 - do you have any other tips to try, besides a reinstall of Windows?

Please try running detect1810r.exe as described earlier in this thread

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T480-DCH-Thunderbolt-driver-amp-TB3-Dock...

teaelvee
Punch Card
Views: 774
Message 53 of 61

Thanks for the reply.  I downloaded and executed the "detect1812.exe" file, and it continues to give me this message (I do have the controller file installed):

thunderbolt-usb-c-error.png

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 760
Message 54 of 61

@teaelvee wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I downloaded and executed the "detect1812.exe" file, and it continues to give me this message (I do have the controller file installed):

thunderbolt-usb-c-error.png

Please try shutdown, remove battery, and then use a paper clip to press the reset hole as shown.  Then try detect1812.exe again.

Untitled.png

DomoAnalyst
Paper Tape
Views: 661
Message 55 of 61

Words cannot describe how frustrated I am with the T580's and T480's.  They have been riddled with issues ranging from firmware to hardware.  Previous models worked great, but these make me never want to get another Lenovo product again.

Can you guys please start testing properly instead of letting all of your customers do the testing?  I am sure I am not alone in how I feel and I honestly hope enough of your customers go to other brands that it makes you reconsider your processes.

teaelvee
Punch Card
Views: 597
Message 56 of 61

Good morning, someotherguy > I did what you asked and I'm not sure if it's progress, but I get a different message now:

usb-c-new-error.png

I still cannot get it to recognize my USB-C dock.  Do you have any other tips?  Thank you for the help thus far.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 592
Message 57 of 61

@teaelvee wrote:

Good morning, someotherguy > I did what you asked and I'm not sure if it's progress, but I get a different message now:

I still cannot get it to recognize my USB-C dock.  Do you have any other tips?  Thank you for the help thus far.

I haven't seen this before, but I wonder if it would be successful to apply the Thunderbolt firmware now.  Please try it (link is for ThinkPad T570).  https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

teaelvee
Punch Card
Views: 568
Message 58 of 61

Ahh - I should have mentioned that I did indeed download and install that, before I replied.  I just did it one more time...

... and it's working again!  I think the paperclip trick and the combo of installing those files again may have done it.  Thank you so much!  We'll see how long it lasts... ;-)  The USB-C dock software says I need to update the firmware, but I'm afraid that if I do, it will not work again:

usb-c-dock-fw.png

I sincerely appreciate the help!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 562
Message 59 of 61

My personal advice is to update the USB dock firmware only if you're having some problem.  If everything is working OK for you, don't update it.  Most of the USB dock firmware updates are to fix issues about specific monitors/devices so if you don't have problems, then there's no point to apply the update.

jsheneman23
What's DOS?
Views: 435
Message 60 of 61

I have just hit this same issue after months of this working just fine and none of the suggestions in this post have worked.   TB3 will power things up and down, but no perfipherals work.

Try 1

1.  Followed instructions to uninstall controller in Device Manager - Controller was not present

2.  Successfully removed NCI service

3.  Ran the software provide and it said drivers ready to use.

4.  Nothing works

Try 2

1.  Installed Thuderbolt Software from lenovo support and launch.  Shows no devices connected.

Try 3

1.  Remove Battery

2.  Press Reset with paperclip

3.  Redo Try 1 with same results

Try 4

1.   Ran Firmware detect tool

2.   Get Error:  0x20B SDK_NO_CONTROLLERS - 

At a loss for how to get his working again....or for why it quit working in the first place.    

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors