Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xetalim
Paper Tape
Views: 886
Message 81 of 95

Re: T480s, thunderbolt FW can not be updated, pls help

I can't find a thunderbolt device listed in Device Manager -> System Devices, and it is enabled in the BIOS.

The reason I think this is due to the firmware is because of this post by lenovo:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT508988

where among others, the following two symptoms are listed:

• Intel Thunderbolt controller not visible in the OS/Device Manager
  • System battery not charging with a USB-C power adapter connected to the USB-C port.

This is exactly what my problem is, but I can't apply this critical update because the update application thinks I have no controller.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 877
Message 82 of 95

Sounds like you have already experienced the hardware failure that the firmware is intended to prevent.  It may be too late.  The last thing you could try is shutdown the system, unplug AC, and then use a paper clip to press the emergency reset button on the bottom.  This will reset the thunderbolt controller; then plug in AC and boot to Windows, check if thunderbolt controller is in Device Manager now.

Steve_SE
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 808
Message 83 of 95

Any update on when a utility will be released to update the firmware with the newest 1.x driver installed, or if it will ever be released? As this is strongly recommended by Lenovo, would you recommend we start installing the 17.x driver version so we can use the older firmware utility to do the fw update? Then, whenever the new utility is released we update those with 1.x.. Please advise.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 802
Message 84 of 95

@Steve_SE wrote:

Any update on when a utility will be released to update the firmware with the newest 1.x driver installed, or if it will ever be released? As this is strongly recommended by Lenovo, would you recommend we start installing the 17.x driver version so we can use the older firmware utility to do the fw update? Then, whenever the new utility is released we update those with 1.x.. Please advise.

There was supposed to be a tool that would update firmware with the 1.x driver installed.  But this has been delayed repeatedly, and I'm starting to question whether we are capable to release it.  Based on this, I would recommend deploying the 17.x driver instead.  If you have machines that have already deployed 1.x, it's not so simple to "downgrade" to 17.x, but I wrote a script that can do it.  If you decide to try it, I recommend testing it on a test machine first.  The script uninstalls the 1.x driver and related services, and then installs the 17.x driver.

fix_tbt.zip  (download and unzip this, and then run fix_tbt.ps1 as administrator)

mkallio
Fanfold Paper
Views: 708
Message 85 of 95

Hello I must ask that if Lenovo knows that the DCH 1.xx version makes it impossible to update the TB3 firmware, then why on earth did you just push that driver version to my T480?

I'm still on TB3 FW 14 and the FW update now is impossible? It almost seems that you want us to brick our motherboards?

2020-01-26 17_06_55-Lenovo Vantage.png

ts-
Paper Tape
Views: 682
Message 86 of 95

Re: T480 DCH Thunderbolt driver & TB3 Dock Firmware upgrade

After the Lenovo Vantage updates on 26/01/2020 (picture below), my T480 is giving the "Thunderbolt application is not in use anymore" error. Everything seems to work at the moment, but reading more into these Thunderbolt problems, I would like to know if there is anything I should be worried about, or any measures I should take. In particular, I do not know how to check my TB firmware version, as I cannot access the Thunderbolt Software, and I cannot find "FwUpdateCmd.exe" on my system.

1.jpg2.jpg

ts-
Paper Tape
Views: 414
Message 87 of 95

@someotherguy wrote:

@Steve_SE wrote:

There was supposed to be a tool that would update firmware with the 1.x driver installed.  But this has been delayed repeatedly, and I'm starting to question whether we are capable to release it.  Based on this, I would recommend deploying the 17.x driver instead.  If you have machines that have already deployed 1.x, it's not so simple to "downgrade" to 17.x, but I wrote a script that can do it.  If you decide to try it, I recommend testing it on a test machine first.  The script uninstalls the 1.x driver and related services, and then installs the 17.x driver.

fix_tbt.zip  (download and unzip this, and then run fix_tbt.ps1 as administrator)

Hi, I tried this fix on my T480 with 1.41.789.0, but it failed. Here's the output:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Device to remove: Thunderbolt\(TM\) Controller with version 1.4 and class 4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318
INF to delete:  C:\Windows\Inf\oem0.inf

Step 1: devcon.exe remove "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15BF"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15BF&SUBSYS_11112222&REV_01\227020D2EA00AA0000: Removed
1 device(s) were removed.

Step 2: devcon.exe dp_delete C:\Windows\Inf\oem0.inf
Deleting the specified driver package from the machine failed
because it is in use by a device.
devcon.exe failed.

Step 3: MsiExec.exe /X{FBAB4EAA-497D-4B48-8484-D96CAE92C71A} /quiet

Step 4: sc delete nhi
[SC] DeleteService SUCCESS

Step 5: setup.msi /qn

PC must be rebooted now

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After rebooting, the Thunderbolt device 15BF still appears in Device Manager with driver version 1.41.789.0, but now the Thunderbolt Software error message does not appear on boot, only if I try to run it manually.

At this point I'd just want some way to verify that I have the correct firmware version, I faintly reminder doing some updates when Lenovo announced the critical updates but I did not understand the severity of the problem back then since I have no TB3 devices in use. Here is what "FwUpdateCmd.exe GetCurrentNvmVersion "$(.\FwUpdateCmd.exe EnumControllers)" says:

Error: 0x20B SDK_NO_CONTROLLERS - No active Thunderbolt(TM) controller found in the system or Thunderbolt(TM) software
is not present in the system. Make sure you have Thunderbolt(TM) software installed.
Then connect Thunderbolt(TM) device and retry.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 381
Message 88 of 95

could you disconnect from internet and try running fix_tbt.ps1 again?  I'm afraid that Windows Update might be trying to put the driver back at the same time you are trying to remove it by script.  I did see something strange like this when I was writing this script a couple months ago.

As for trying to query the firmware version, FwUpdateCmd.exe is not compatible with the 1.x driver.

ts-
Paper Tape
Views: 370
Message 89 of 95

Hi, I tried it now without connection -- same output, same result.

I did notice that by enabling BIOS Assist mode for TB3, the Thunderbolt device disappears from Device Manager. Do you think it would make a difference running the script in this mode?
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 365
Message 90 of 95

I don't know where the 1.x driver would be coming from if you are disconnected from internet.  Can you again disconnect from internet and manually do following steps:

1.  remove Thunderbolt device from Device Manager (make sure to check the box about deleting driver software also)

2.  uninstall Thunderbolt from Control Panel -> Programs and Features (if it exists)

3.  reboot the computer (make sure you are still disconnected from intnernet)

4.  install thunderbolt software 17.4.80.550 from here:  https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ch/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

The BIOS setting you are asking about has nothing to do with the fact that current FwUpdate tools are not compatible with the 1.x driver.  This setting should be disabled for Windows 10.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors