Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3Will
Blue Screen Again
Views: 24,687
Message 1 of 67

T480 Does not recognize USB ports on Pro Docking Station

I recently purchased a T480 and ThinkPad Pro Docking Station (40AH).  While the laptop is docked it does not recognize the USB ports that are on the docking station but other ports (Dual DisplayPort and ethernet) work fine.  I am able to plug a device into the always on charging USB port and it will receive power, however, the laptop does not see it.  I have tried updating all drivers on the T480 and Pro Docking support pages including the firmware updates for the dock itself but nothing will get them to be recognized.  Running the USB firmware for the docking station repeatedly says no devices found and goes no further than that.

Already have tried replacing the docking station through Lenovo Support and the same issue was seen with the replacement.  Both the laptop and docking station were new out of the box when this started.  Unsure what else to try to get the USB hub inside the dock to be recognized.

Vida
What's DOS?
Views: 24,449
Message 2 of 67

Re: T480 Does not recognize USB ports on Pro Docking Station

I'm seeing the same thing on a T480.  Everything worked fine since 7/9/2018 and stopped today, 7/20/2018.  I'll post if I find any solution.

Omama
What's DOS?
Views: 24,065
Message 3 of 67

same to me.
If I'm disconnecting from docking while keyboard & mouse BT are attached to docking, it does not recognize them on connect
Vida
What's DOS?
Views: 24,046
Message 4 of 67

Ok, so the user's computer/dock that I had issues with started working again.  The day of the issue I tried updating all the software/firmware on the system, which didnt work.  So I tried a system restore to the last time the user could remember the system working.  I then ran all the software/firmware updates again and windows updates.  The doc continued not to work for the rest of the day.  However, when the user came into the office the next day, it worked and has continued to work for the past month.  I'm not sure what the solution was but those are all the things I know happened to the computer while troubleshooting.  Wish I had something more concrete to contribute.  If I see the issue again, I'll make sure to report my findings.

Chris_Bourgeois
What's DOS?
Views: 23,532
Message 5 of 67

There is a fix for this. My company has been working with Lenovo about this issue. We have new firmware not yet publicly available. It works and this is solved. 2 - 3 weeks it will be available via the system update tool.

SaarBlitz1
Paper Tape
Views: 22,823
Message 6 of 67

Hi,

As I have the same problem (with T580), do you know if the new firmware is public available please?

fireguy13
What's DOS?
Views: 22,773
Message 7 of 67

Same issues here. T480s Laptop using a mechanical pro dock. USB's have been working fine up until middle of last week after a month being in service in the field. One laptop did not have any USB's available and started working again the next day. Another had to remove the USB device in dev manager and they started back working after a reboot, and yesterday (10/1/18) had one that killed just the soundbar. Once trying to move the USB to another, it stated low power failure to USB's and would not start, but also killed mouse and keyboard in process until unplugged. Tried to reach out to lenovo today and they advised that I needed to try with a factory image. I'm feeling this issue is more than just an image that I created especially since it worked prior to middle last week with no issues. Anyone had any luck figuring this out? I have computers being deployed all across the US and troubleshooting 1,000 miles away will be impossible when that call comes in. 

SaarBlitz1
Paper Tape
Views: 22,674
Message 8 of 67

After updating everything from here:

https://support.lenovo.com/il/en/solutions/pd500174

There is progress and I see USB Bridge in device manager but have no driver for it.

Any idea please?

SaarBlitz1
Paper Tape
Views: 22,521
Message 9 of 67

Hi,

Solved!

Thunderbolt was disabled in BIOS - it must be enabled to have this docking to work..

JarnoF
Fanfold Paper
Views: 22,370
Message 10 of 67

IMG_0010.jpgI think I have the exact same problem: ThinkPad T480 + "Pro Docking Station". USBs on the dock have worked fine until I-don't-really-know-when. As I'm writing this they don't wotk at all. Previously they may have jumped on/off many times during a short period of time but for few days the ports have been completely dead. Intrestingly, the USB ports still provide power as an external HDD clearly spins up when connected to the dock USB ports.

I have tried:

- Updating Windows (10 Enterprise)

- Updating Lenovo Drivers ("Vantage" and "System Update")

- Updating Windows USB device drivers from the device list (claims I have the latest)

- Fiddling everything in the Thunderbolt software menus

- etc.

Really don't understand what else I could try except windows recovery.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors